Old Yankee No30

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been cleaning out some old tool boxes that I found in an old shed some time ago, I know there is a Stanley No4 plane in there some where without a iron and a chunk out of the side but at the moment I have found a Yankee no30. Most of the things I have found are for the 30a.

On the steel there is the following
"YANKEE" No. 30
NORTH BROS. MFG. CO.
PHILA. P.A. U.S.A.
PAT. APR. 16-95 - NOV. 2 - 97
SEP. 15 - 99 - OCT. 3 - 00
MAY. 1 - 06 - NOV. 3 - 08

Can any one put a date on this if I have read an article correctly North Bros made these between 1899 and 1947.

Can anyone confirm that the bit should come out of this before I try something daft. The ratchet runs free and I have found out the No30 does not have spring that at first I thought it was broken. I have read a post in the past few days that will help if the bit can be removed. The bit does not have any play in it and the shape implies it is permanent.

Sorry, I'm hopeless with links, but go to http://www.woodworkforums.com and search for a thread titled Yankee Superstars in the Hand Tools section. There's a 'Merican there who has a website with quite a bit of info on Yankee screwdrivers.

HTH

Cheers, Vann.

Back