old old penifin oil put on a beautiful figured maple burl!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdesign

Established Member
Reaction score
hey folks

my question is do i need to strip the old finish off its not peeling, the client wants its resin filled where it has some holes then epoxy poured afterwards. I know i need a water based sealer for the epoxy to properly apply is their anyway i can get their without removing the original finish??

the oil is 15 to 25 years old and the piece is absolutely beautiful cost 900 dollars and will be made into a coffee table.

hope some one knows a solution

regards richard

Here's some pictures they really don't do it justice, got tiger grain, splaying and loads of burl

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 814
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 814
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 814
Is their anything I could use to strip it like denatured alcohol as the bark waney edge isn't sandable maybe sandblasting could be an option

the sides would need to have the same treatment so it can get completely covered with an epoxy pour. don't want a failure

I still think sanding is the best way forward, you could power sand the top but would have to hand sand the edges. Stripper does not work very well on oil finishes. The only other method would be to use some kind of solvent, but alcohol will not touch it. You could try cellulose thinners or acetone scrubbed on with a scotch pad. Or you could wait until I have been to the 12th International Symposium on Wood and Furniture Conservation, at the Rijksmuseum in November and I will ask one of the conservators for you!

thanks for the advice. unfortunately can't wait more than another week as the client wants it might send the edges for sand blasting as that will be easier than hand sanding and just random orbit sand the top . the epoxy pour will make it flat will through up some pics of the finished product when its complete

Back