Old Files & Rasps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
I have a drawer full of old files and rasps left to me by my father - some many years old.
They are not rusty and seem quite serviceable, but many are full of crud (old varnish, wood etc. etc.?)

What's the best way to clean them up apart from the obvious wire brushing?
I suppose chemicals like paint remover will result in rusting?

Rod

you might try diluted vinegar in the first instance to reduce the chance of rust, just give it a couple of hours to start with.

there are other treatments using old fashioned chemicals like soda
and lye, but i must hunt for the references. will get back if not beaten to it.

normal practice with a file depends upon the metal being worked.

with steel, you tend to use a piece of brass with the angle of the teeth, and then the wire brush, chalk before use tends to reduce clogging

aluminium and brass tend to be more easily removed with the so called file card, which is a special wire brush, but designed to fit inside the teeth etc.

hope that helps a bit

paul :wink:

I would start by cleaning with a soak in solvent (Stoddard / mineral spirits type) and then scrubbing by hand with a fine wire brush. You won't get any rust that way after your done but if it's file / rasp to be used on wood you may want to degrease after.

If you would prefer not to use solvent then soak in very hot soapy water and then the scrub, followed by a hot rinse. Dry immediately while hot and as soon as it's dry spray on some penetrating oil and wipe the excess off. Skip the oil if the tools you keep in your shop aren't rusting.

If there is still some varnish or wood left in the teeth, try oven cleaner or some of the saw blade / router bit cleaning products.

Any metal still stuck in the teeth will need to be dealt with as engineer one mentioned.

When you're done store the files in a roll or separated somehow to keep them from rubbing or banging into each other. They are an edged tool and will stay sharp for a lot longer if you protect them.

I use citric acid to clean the rust off, ive been given some real rusty tools over the years, just leave in the citric acid for a few hours it just eats the rust away. can be bought quite cheaply on e-bay they use it for bath bombs.

another thought, cmt do a router and saw blade cleaner which is pretty good for clearing off the scum that builds up on these, haven't used it for files, but should do ok.

Tony Ward":3kocbr1x said:
Why not use a blow torch to burn the residue off?

engineer one":3kocbr1x said:
that's what i like aussie subtelty :lol:

have to be careful about making the steel lose its temper
Not a bad idea, though, Paul. It's what my local shot blaster does before he bead blasts dust extraction pipework. The carbon blasts off much quicker than resin does and assuming it burns at around 232 °C (451 °F). Isn't that is below the temper point on steel (between 400 and 600 °F = depending on the required result)?

I seem to recall years back when Peter Stubbs were still going in Warrington that they used to take back old files and acid dip them to refurbish them. Only problem is I'm not sure which acid it was, although I vaguely recall being told that it was conc. nitric. But then again, maybe not.

Scrit

When the much-missed K.R. Whiston were in business in New Mills supplying all sorts of engineering reclaim, they used to sell "acid resharpened files". Nitric acid sounds the most plausible one to use, from vague memories of school chemistry.

Soaked in almost any household degreaser followed by wire brushing will clean them up nicely. I love to come across old files when cruising local garage sales. That old steel can be turned into super knives.

Lee

actually scrit you might be right about the blow torch, but would feel safer to finally have found a use for my heat gun :lol: :lol:

at least you can then use the blow torch for its real purpose, making meringues :twisted: :roll:

dickm":3gmnh6ht said:
When the much-missed K.R. Whiston were in business in New Mills supplying all sorts of engineering reclaim, they used to sell "acid resharpened files". Nitric acid sounds the most plausible one to use, from vague memories of school chemistry.
Crickey! I knew there was someone down that end of Manchester but I'd completely forgotten the name

Scrit

Back