OH!! OARS AN ROLLOCKS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it doesn't need the double ended motor, you shouldn' t have too much problem getting a replacement as it's just a standard foot mounted job. But if it's the double ender, you may be looking at rewinding?

Good news, Took the motor to our local rewinders on monday and got it back yesterday, it was the internal centrifugal switch and they have repaired it for the very reasonable price of £65 plus the value added theft.
For anyone stuck in a similar situation in this location, I would highly recommend Colchester Rewinds and Repairs. (not advertising, just
a nod in their direction).

,,,,,,joe,,,,

Glad you're back up and running (turning). I've also got a Coronet Major with a no-worky motor.

I tried replacing the capacitor, with no effect, so I'm now suspecting the centrifugal switch. Can I please ask the symptoms you had with yours?

Also, is yours a maroon one or blue?

DickM - when you say double-ender, presumably you mean where the shaft protrudes from either end (which I have). Assuming my motor is totally dead, I could presumably replace it with a suitable sized single-ender? I have no intention of using the myriad planer/bandsaw attachments (that I don;t have anyway).

Thanks

Hi disco monkey, (can"t guess what you drive!)

All good now with the mighty coronet and shavings have been flying.
My coronet is pre 1963, the maroon ones with the curly legs.
I had what I can best describe as a growling noise when the motor was powered up and it would not pick up speed
when I spun the shaft as they will do if the capacitor is kaput.
I did see a youtube video re the centrifugal switch repair, but felt a bit out of my depth so got professional help.
I know from some of your past posts that you can be a bit of a tinkerer so it might be worth you dropping off
the end cover and seeing if either the switch points are stuck together or if the springs are weak.
At the moment there is a double ended coronet major motor on ebay, I think it"s about £80.
Hope that helps and you soon get worky rather than no-worky but please let us know what you do.
If I can help anymore please feel free to do whatever,,,

,,,,joe,,,

disco_monkey79 said:
DickM - when you say double-ender, presumably you mean where the shaft protrudes from either end (which I have). Assuming, my motor is totally dead, I could presumably replace it with a suitable sized single-ender? I have no intention of using the myriad planer/bandsaw attachments (that I don;t have anyway).

Thanks
If you don't want to use the accessories (you don't know what you're missing :? ) then any standard foot mount motor of a size and power that will go in the space should be fine. Only problem might be shaft diameter, as the original is probably imperial size. (Of course once we've been fully Brexited, all motors will revert to imperial sizes!)

Thanks both.

No offence meant re the accessories - I already have a b/s and planer, so it just doesn't make sense for me to buy more.

I'll pull the motor apart and have a look. I can't make it any more no-worky than it is already, and if it turns out to need re-winding, then it'll need a new motor anyways...

Cheers!

Don't be too hasty chucking it. EVen if it needs a rewind, IMHO, the motor you would have after the rewind would still represent better value than the same spent on a new one. And even if you don't need the (OK slightly quirky) attachments, the next owner might. (Have no illusions - those machines were built to outlast several owners!)

dickm":23vc93z0 said:
Don't be too hasty chucking it. EVen if it needs a rewind, IMHO, the motor you would have after the rewind would still represent better value than the same spent on a new one. And even if you don't need the (OK slightly quirky) attachments, the next owner might. (Have no illusions in a - those machines were built to outlast several owners!)

Plus 2 for what Dickm says and he knows about Coronets, also the bloke who sorted mine out said "they don"t make motors like that anymore" in a complimentary way
,,,,joe,,,

SUCCESS!!!! Sort of...

Turns out that the motor is completely fine. It is the switch that's the culprit. When the switch is taken out of the equation (i.e. the motor is wired straight to the plug), it runs perfectly.

Unfortunately, I can't see what's wrong with the switch, so that looks like it's heading for the bin. All contacts were good, etc.

Can anyone suggest a suitable stand-alone on/off switch, to take 3-wire flex? Preferably one that'll be straightforward for me to work out what goes where?

I did take a pic of the old one, but my phone has also just died...

Many thanks

disco_monkey79":3ntvog2r said:
.... It is the switch that's the culprit. When the switch is taken out of the equation (i.e. the motor is wired straight to the plug), it runs perfectly.

Unfortunately, I can't see what's wrong with the switch, so that looks like it's heading for the bin. All contacts were good, etc......

Are you sure it is the switch, it's not unknown for a wire feed to and from a switch to break inside the insulation if it's subject to regular or long term (old cables) flexing.

I don't know the location or fixing for your switch but I would consider replacing it with an NVR unit such as this to give you mains failure protection.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-nv ... 1ph-340181
340181_xl[1].jpg

Attachments

• 340181_xl[1].jpg
    340181_xl[1].jpg
    138 KB · Views: 955
Hi

Pardon my electrickery ignorance, but I can only seem to find replacement switches with 4 contacts. As they are (unsuprisingly) plastic-cased, I don't see how/where the earth would be attached.

Or, is it because a plastic case doesn't need an earth - in which case, would one simply join the earth on the plug cable straight to the earth on the motor cable? And are switches built with enough room inside to enable this?

Thanks!

http://www.axminster.co.uk/kedu-kjd18-9 ... 1ph-101762

Most NVR switches contained within their own box with cable sealing glands have a suitable terminal inside to facilitate earth cable continuity or room for an in-line connector.
Those that just locate within a machine frame usually rely on an earth terminal adjacent to the switch aperture.

Back