Office? Funny???????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're almost redeemed then. But all the old stuff? Funny in it's day, mildly amusing 20 years later. Well Bottom isn't bad, that was when Rik was funny. Game On was ok (but Coupling was better, especially the one with the Polish/Foreign woman)). Found the 1st few series of Teachers very watchable. Desperate Housewives not too bad. Men Behaving was mostly good, 1st series with Harry Enfield as the Neil Morrisey bloke good.
But Bread? Soooo not funny.
Suppose it takes all sorts. Bit like this site, really.

Noel

Tony":1l2s1zbj said:
Humour at someone else's expense shows a lack of ability/talent in my opinion

Tony,

Humour is ALWAYS at someone else's expense, that is why it is funny rather than tragic. I defy you to relate a joke that isn't so constructed.

(the someone else of course in a verbal joke is not seen and is usually fictional but there IS a someone else. )

tim":a6m0l25x said:
Tony (who finds lots of things on the TV funny, just not the office)

You can't offer that sign off without some expansion as to which programs you do find funny. I have made a bet with myself about at least one program and I will come clean about which one it is, whether or not you include it.

Cheers

Tim

(Who does find the office hilarious but still has to watch most of it through spread fingers and has met Ricky Gervase and even had a beer with him)

Ok, people I find funny (seriously hard when you have to sit here and think of them!!):
Robin Williams stand up and some films (good morning vietnam etc.)
Jack Dee
Phil Cool
Dave Allen
Jeremy Hardy
Allen Davies (stand up is really funny)
Rich Hall
Steve Martin
Victoria Wood
Lee evans
Dawn French

Programs:
QI
Grumpy old men
Vicar of Dibley
Have I got news for you
They think it's all over
Mash (without canned laughter!!)
Open all hours
Home improvement
Black Adder
League of gentlemen
Little Britain
Third rock from the sun

there are load more but I can't think of 'em sitting here :?

On the radio I absolutely love:
Just a minute
The news quiz

Of course, the funniest of all - New Yankee Workshop :lol: (only joking Norm :wink: )

Noely":2ymkp429 said:
Well Bottom isn't bad, that was when Rik was funny. Game On was ok (but Coupling was better, especially the one with the Polish/Foreign woman)). Found the 1st few series of Teachers very watchable. Desperate Housewives not too bad. Men Behaving was mostly good, 1st series with Harry Enfield as the Neil Morrisey bloke good.
But Bread? Soooo not funny.
Suppose it takes all sorts. Bit like this site, really.

Noel

Bread isn't a laugh every second but I do enjoy watching it. I was brought up on most of the oldies as my sister watched them.

Bottom was my fav for many years. The fight scenes are some of the best/funniest I've seen. Even on their live shows.

Teachers is great although like many things it’s the first couple of series that are the best.

Coupling is a good example as I like it but most the people I know dont. So it’s like The Office, it all depends on the individual.

" you collect womens ears?"

Men behaving badly is the same.. I found most episodes funny but the rest of my family thought series one was cr&p...

Add me to the list of people who did not find 'the office' funny.

Incidentally, one of the funniest shows I have ever seen was 'An audience with Ken Dodd'. I'm not a Dodd fan, and was surprised as well as almost sick with laughter

John

johnelliott":20qawqem said:
Incidentally, one of the funniest shows I have ever seen was 'An audience with Ken Dodd'. I'm not a Dodd fan, and was surprised as well as almost sick with laughter

Now the trick is can you say "Ken Dodd, dads, dogs dead" quickly & out loud? And if you can how many times?

woodshavings":jmwtpjtj said:
"Yes Minister "and "Yes Prime Minister" were a couple of my favorites
Good call, John. Comedy that also engages your brain; that's a bit thin on the ground these days. Also big "yay's" for Coupling, Victoria Wood, Blackadder and QI. Would it be too ancient-sounding to add Joyce Grenfell and most of the BBC's radio comedies of the 50s? Round the Horne in particular. Bona. :D

Incidentally folks, I'm a bit surprised at your surprise at my display of anorak-iness. I thought you knew me too well. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

"you collect woman's ears" that was it Charley. Cracking fun with Jeff (well, he was Welsh...) Mash was excellent (with Trapper John). DEave Allen was superb at his peak, but to many sketches in later shows ruined it. Steve Martin is generally excellent but alot depends on the movie. Roxanne was good and the Weather Man one. Two Brains was rubbish.
Yes PM, relied too much on Humphrey bloke and his Civil Service way of explaining things. Enjoyed Victor Meldrew, who I think is actually a member on this forum......

Noel

Tony, Tony, Tony:

Just one from your list where any one would have worked as an example

Blackadder - Baldrick - .need I say more.

'PC' humour is an oxymoron.

T

I knew a girl once Fawltey

Really Major

Yes took her to see India,

at the Oval

Nice girl, still had my wallet
in the morning

Something like that Pure genius

Just saw Parkinson tonight and realised that I left Billy Connelly off the list :lol:

Tim I did not mention PC which is another thing that I find pretty annoying
Clearly my comment was not phrased well enough for the point to be made - upon re-reading this is certainly the case :oops: The rather poor office 'humour' is entirely aimed at some commonly preconceived stereotype whereas Baldrick is no stereotype of any person I have ever met or seen and thus I do not agree with your point.

Tony":3fi1z6xe said:
Just saw Parkinson tonight and realised that I left Billy Connelly off the list :lol:

How could you :O I've got a doctor that sounds just like Billy Connelly.

I find Billy Connelly's sense of humour works great for me. I find that some progs I liked when they were new haven't stood the test of time very well for me.

Ones that have are Only fools and Horses and Fawltey Towers. Not really amused by most of the newer stuff but I do like The Royal Family. Just working on the humour in normal life. Guess that's why I like Billy Connelly so much.

Jeff

Tony,

The rather poor office 'humour' is entirely aimed at some commonly preconceived stereotype whereas Baldrick is no stereotype of any person I have ever met or seen and thus I do not agree with your point.

So if I understand you correctly, you think that comedy based on commonly preconceived sterotypes is not funny but rather an attack on defenceless sections of society?

I'm sorry but I just don't believe you especially since while I agree Billy Connolly is a comic genius, he has built a career on parodying stereotypes. In particular the Glaswegian drunk - don't tell me thats not a stereotype of any person you have ever seen.

You also listed Little Britain - it is fundamentally based on parodying stereotypes - Vicky Pollard, The WI judges, Andy and his carer, Marjorie Dawes, Dafydd the only gay in the village etc etc.

League Of Gentlemen - not much different but indeed much harder hitting and tragic (but also very funny).

Vicar of Dibley - parody of female clergy but more obviously rural parish life.

But these are okay in your book?

I also think its telling that when I posted the list of David Brent comments in the joke thread, your reply was:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who os David Brent?

Tony

After telling you, you decide that those comments are no longer funny and then start a thread about how much you dislike The Office. So how does that work? Rather inconsistent don't you think?

Tim

Who finds a lot of things funny irrespective of who says or does them

tim":1l73sa1s said:
So if I understand you correctly, you think that comedy based on commonly preconceived sterotypes is not funny but rather an attack on defenceless sections of society?
Tim

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!

I think the office is a very poor attempt at this type of humour (you listed many people/programs that do it well)- it is a sort of observational humour that many people are good at and some are not - actors/writers of the office in my opinion fall into the 'not' category

I did not have any preconceived ideas when I watched it and you are attempting to read far too much into this. I like observational comedy best of all.

Put simply - I don't find the office funny and think their humour does not work as they parody true situations too closely. Most people who have worked in an office have met other people who are very close to the office staff. Billy Conolly et al go waaaayyy over the top with their parodies and this is what makes them funny.

After telling you, you decide that those comments are no longer funny and then start a thread about how much you dislike The Office. So how does that work? Rather inconsistent don't you think?

Tim, what is going on here??? I DID NOT SAY THAT THE THINGS YOU POSTED WERE NOT FUNNY AT ANY TIME!!! and emailed them to loads of mates!!! They made me laugh typed on the PC screen - but the office program did not. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

I do not like my reasons for finding one thing funny and another not being dissected like this and so am drawing a line under my side of this discussion.

I simply do not find the office funny - and judging by this thread I am far from being alone in that

Tony

To put a lid on this :wink: It wouldn't be hard for me to understand if you stuck to one argument or point of view but you didn't.

I couldn't care less whether you find The Office funny or not, what I was picking up on was your justification for not liking it:

Yet apparently only if its a poor attempt in your opinion. It seems odd that you find it reasonable to offer a whole set of reasons why you don't like certain things but get upset if someone points out the inconsistencies.

This a forum and its for debating - that means that different views and opinions get presented. If you think its reasonable to cherry pick your own and others points, don't get upset if someone else does the same. I'm not reading too much into anything by the way - all I have done is replay a couple of comments that you made relatively close together - thats how debates work. If you don't like it that others challenge your points of view then maybe you shouldn't start threads with titles that end with a string of question marks.

Cheers

Tim

Gotta side with Noely here - The Office is not you regular gross-out or slap-stick laugh-a-minute comedy - it's designed to be weirdly uncomfortable and more cerebral, and most of us "office drones" must have seen or more than one occasion many of the situations portrayed in The Office. For me it was a very refreshng series, and yes I even shed the odd tear after watching the xmas specials :)

Also cudos to John & Alf for Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister - but did you ever read the books ? much more material, and even funnier than the TV series.

'Course I also love Blackadder, Bottom, Fawlty Towers, Coupling, Red Dwarf, The Young Ones, The Good Life (!), Keeping Up Appearances (so like my mother), and of course - Python.

Back