Oak Window Profile Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackal

Wallybois Woodworking on YouTube
Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking to build new double glazed oak windows for our french farmhouse. I was wondering what your thoughts are on the profile to use. The windows will be internal openers so drainage is important. I was hoping to use a traditional rebate and not stormproof profile but concerned about the practical use. Has anybody got any good profiles they have been using or stock sizes you recommend. Really want to get them made this year as the weather is unpredictable

Thanks

Roto type tilt & turn hardware is a safe bet.

The profiles to use are something like this:

Attachments

• 668.jpg
    668.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 189
dzj":1sb16fqr said:
Roto type tilt & turn hardware is a safe bet.

The profiles to use are something like this:
Looks interesting but where do I get the ironmongery?

Thanks for the drawings

Those trend profile cutters are out of my price range is the a alternative for the moulder or ca I use the router?

Thanks

Far far to complicated window design . Unless you have the tooling not only to machine the sections but the necessary comb jointing blocks . A simple designed double weather stripped storm proof sash will survive all weathers .
Buy decent easy clean friction stays first then build your windows around them .

Jackal

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm to self build your windows but have you looked into the alternative of getting them made? I've been there, done that....albeit a while back. Without decent machinery/tooling you may struggle to get the degree of weatherproofing/security to 'enjoy' winters in the Limousin.

You could use drop on hinges, but if you want DG, you'd need to do twin bridle joints.
Each sash shouldn't be wider than ~60cm, but you could do a double sash with or without center post.

hth:

Attachments

• ds.JPG
    ds.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 75
Tilt and turn windows were designed for easy cleaning in high rise buildings .
They are a nice window but for your build totally unnecessary .
A well made stormproof window not only looks good but does everything you require .
With a few tweeks they can be stylish too !

If you want ideas then pm me for drawings .

Guggs

Guggs":3mkfa8ux said:
Tilt and turn windows were designed for easy cleaning in high rise buildings .
They are a nice window but for your build totally unnecessary .
A well made stormproof window not only looks good but does everything you require .
With a few tweeks they can be stylish too !

If you want ideas then pm me for drawings .

Guggs

The picture above isn't a tilt and turn type window, it's a run-of-the-mill
inward opening casement window with DG and easily available hardware.
It can be made with a router and table saw.

I'm not advocating any model in particular, but is this not what he was asking for in the OP?

Back