oak veneered mdf does it stain?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
scratching around for the bits to finish off my new bench, which is nowhere near as flash as the one shown recently, i thought to use up some of my oak veneered mdf.

so question is, does veneered mdf suffer the same problems that real oak does. ie does it blacken with metal touching etc? :roll:

paul :wink:

While its dry there will be little risk of staining but add any mositure and it will soon stain eg glue comming into contact with the board and metal clamps will give you nice black stains :cry:

Jason

Oak veneer is still oak, Paul, so it still contains tannin. Therefore as Jason says, yes, I've seen it too

Scrit

thought that might be true, so scratch that idea for the inner tool cabinet :lol: . but you have to think about re-cycling or using it in different
ways :roll:

anyway better to ask than spend the time and money and find it out later :cry:

But if it's lacquered and kept in a dry workshop why wouldn't it work? Surely the only problems would come from unfinished oak?

Scrit

actually i don't know, which is why i asked.

i was under the impression that there could be a bleed through at any time.

but that brings up another question, if you use a water based varnish/acrylic varnish does that cause the same problems, or are they protective once dried?

If its just for storage I see no problem if its well sealed.

The waterbased finish will not cause staining as it is a reaction between the iron and the tannins in the oak.

Just make sure that you do not use any wirewool (scotchbrite is OK) as small strands can catch in the grain then as the finish makes them wet you get black blotches, same around any screws/pins.

Jason

and now for real oak :twisted:

can you just plane off water staining, on real oak, or do you have to remove the wood??

actually it will be underneath a table top, so largely unseen, but since it is at the edges i wonder :roll:

engineer one":md9xng49 said:
can you just plane off water staining, on real oak, or do you have to remove the wood??
How long is a piece of string? If it's water staining as in how the timber would have come in from the yard (i.e. without any/much contact with ferrous metals) then probably yes. If it's black ferric oxide staining caused by water-ferrous metal-oak combination then it depends how deep it has sunk - although oxalylic acid will generally bleach it out (I got my last lot from Morrells - they last for years)

Scrit

actually it is only a kind of colour like you get when your modern expensive shoes get soaked when it rains.

you know looks like salt.

i guess the answer is a small planing and then see what has happened.

thanks again mate

Latest posts

Back