oak desk and study furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi, haven't taken many pictures recently so I deliberately took my camera today.
The brief was for a desk where husband and wife could work together, and some enclosed bookcases/display cabinets.

The desk has drawers above the knee holes. Freestanding rather than fitted. The middle 2 drawers are filing cabinets. The frames are staffed.
european oak, much better than the American white (ginger) oak. :lol:

The bookcases are oak carcases and worktops, staffed frames again, painted doors and frames, primed only, to be hand painted. There are 2 of them either side of a fireplace

3 Lights in each, on a touch switch.

Handles are gun metal, customers choice, seem ok.

p1160002zl3.jpg

p1160004mg4.jpg

p1160007xw7.jpg

p1160010fw0.jpg

p1160014an3.jpg

Nice work (as always) Senior. Desk assembled on site in how many sections - apart from the top that is?

Beautiful work, Senior =D> =D> although a husband and wife working that close together seems like a recipe for disaster :shock: :shock: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Senior,
Lovely looking job as always!

Only one thing occurs to me - the arched panels in the knee holes of the desk look rather deep (enough to hit the top of one's thighs) although I guess they were OK for the owners!

Very nice :D

Although,like Paul,I'm slightly sceptical about the "husband and wife working closely together" bit.. :wink:

Andrew

Senior,

Lovely work, given me idea's for my two alcoves, but what do you mean by "the frames are staffed".

Probably showing my ignorance but it's not a term I am familiar with.

Cheers

Staffed as I use the term, means that on the frame around all the doors and drawers is a bead, (half round, with a step) but its not stuck on, its one piece of wood so the horizontals have to be cut into the verticals at 45 deg to match up the profiles.

The desk breaks into 2 pieces + the top if required.

The hieght of the knee hole is 660mm which is a bit low, but it was agreed with the customer beforehand.

My living hell would be working with my wife. :lol:

Very good as usual Senior. I particularly like the way you have made a feature of the scribing bits on the bookcases - might well nick that idea.

senior":rt4pu9zk said:
Staffed as I use the term, means that on the frame around all the doors and drawers is a bead, (half round, with a step) but its not stuck on, its one piece of wood so the horizontals have to be cut into the verticals at 45 deg to match up the profiles.

Is that called a "hockey stick" profile, or am I thinking of something else?

very nice as everyone else has said. my only question is regarding the draw fronts on the desk. to me it looks a bit odd the different design of the filing cabinet draws as opposed to the end draws. was this a conscious descision? maybe if the handles were all in the same position (centred or towards the top) it would look better.

steve

space was very tight to achieve 2 filing drawers, hence no dividing bar, the drawer fronts are too big really for flat drawer fronts like the others, and the handles really shouldn't go on the panel to make them central.

I think with all furniture its difficult to achieve the ideal acticle, the points you have raised have been discussed with the customers and provided they are happy with the drawings so am I, when I first started I would often try and change customers minds on their ideas, this ended up with me having to redraw the furniture, do new quotes etc, now I realise time is money, and unless its going to look terrible and the clients are happy, I just try and get on with it.

You've done it again senior - lovely coordinated pieces. The side/end panels in the desk are presumably veneered ply to keep weight and cost under control?

Thanks for some more great pieces Senior

I am also glad you said about trying to change customers minds as I have a few bits to make soon and hope to try for a finish some thing like yours, fingers cross :wink:

I am starting to get into more new work and seeing yours does give me some thing to aim for :)

Hi Senior,

Nice to see photos of a couple of your more 'everyday' type jobs rather than the huge projects. Beautifully executed as always.

Not so sure about the shape of the cut-outs on the knee-hole drawer fronts - they look a bit clumpy to me. I suspect this was a compromise between the clients' desire for a deep drawer and your need to leave enough knee space. Clients eh? Who needs 'em?

Love the alcove units. We are getting more of this type of job all the time - could probably make a living doing nothing else - but yours leave mine standing... for now!

Interesting that you too have clients requiring built-ins to be primed only. Those look mighty fiddly pieces to hand-paint, and you could have done a much better job in the spray shop.

Clients eh? Who needs 'em?

Nice work

Keep 'em coming!

Brad

PS It's a good job you measured the height of the window sill at both ends!

PPS Who chose the handles for the desk?

senior":366key65 said:
. . . the points you have raised have been discussed with the customers and provided they are happy with the drawings so am I . . .

Yes of course you are right, and as we have seen elsewhere everyone has different tastes and sometimes we just have to accept that what we like and would do for ourselves isn't necessarily what someone else appreciates. As has been said in other posts it is also difficult to evaluate a piece when it is taken out of context. I wonder what the desk looks like with two chairs in front and computer(s)/ telephone / papers on the top?

That is a very unusal desk indeed. Not sure I'd want to sit next to my wife whiulst working :) :wink:

Lovely work Senior. How long does something like this take you to make?

Back