oak beams

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I know of an excellent source of oak beams these have all been taken out of some farm buildings and are now lying outside of the yard.

I'm relatively new to woodwork but would I be spotting a good deal here? Firstly they are seriously massive and need taking apart a bit and would they be any good for me for furniture making etc. What should one pay maximum? Or would i be better off with new planks?

how do I trim them down? any recommended standard sizes? will they be of decent quality for me etc. or do you need a bit of experience with them? Got a chainsaw and a new p/t and bandsaw.

Furthermore it is on my mind to by a load and perhaps resell a bit? Will they need further drying out in a kiln again?

Probably not economic to machine them down to furniture making sizes unless its for your own use. Also the green oak would likely have split as it dried so buy the time you have cut out the defects as well as old mortice holes and dug out all the nails etc you will not get many large flat boards.

Then again you could always make chunky furniture :wink:

Jason

Cool idea jason. anymore chunky furniture ideas out there?

Latest posts

Back