Oak bath finishing advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_p

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm relatively new to the forum, this is my first post, but i've really enjoyed reading the various threads on the forum (it's a good way to sneakily pass the time at work!).

I'm currently making an oak bath panel. It's all constructed from solid oak, with re-sawn panels. I've also got some cabinets to construct which are going in the same bathroom, so ideally, I'd like to use the same finish throughout.

I was planning on finishing it with Danish Oil (mainly for each of application) what do people think as to the suitability of this finish?

Thanks

Tom

Tom,
Welcome to the forum.

A search will produce plenty of answers to your question

In a nutshell, Danish oil is actually a kind of varnish (long on polymerising oils and short on resins). Put on enough coats and it will protect against water pretty well, albeit with a lot of darkening and highlighting of the grain.

A better finish for this sort of application is usually a waterborne lacquer/varnish - these are usually identified as "quick drying" and one is advised to use water to clean brushes etc. Such finishes are easy to apply, are very resistant to most things and leave the wood lighter in colour than other finishes.
If you desire a darker colour, you can stain the wood before applying the finish, or indeed apply a single coat of an oil finish - sand lightly before applying the lacquer.

Tom,
you might like to have a look at Patina - available from Screwfix and elsewhere. Have a search around here for user comments. It is certainly water proof and very hard wearing.

Andy

Funnily enough, I have just finished a piece of Oak with Patina, and it has come up really well - the Patina seems to have made it almost "glow" with a nice warm colour.

I use Patina a lot on any turnings that I think are going to get wet, or are likely to be handled a lot, and I have been very pleased with the results. Is is waterproof, and very hard wearing.

Regards

Gary

Thanks very much for all the advice.

Sounds like Patina could be the way to go then. Only other finish i was considering, having read up some more, was the Rustin's Plastic Coating, but the smell, and necessity of really cleaning up workshop is putting me off!!

I had a quick look on screwfixand did a search for Patina, but there were no search results on that keyword. Also, had a look in their wood care section but couldn't find it there. Has anyone ordered any recently, or have they discontinued stocking it does anyone know? If so, has anyone got hold of any from another stockists?

Bath panel's going well, just need to re-saw the panels and glue-up. Might post some pics (if it turns out ok :shock: )

Thanks Andy

There's a Brewers near me, so I will pay them a visit on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back