o2 Contract advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andypo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, im f furious had a number of phone calls from a 08000641087 saying that they are from o2, basically trying to sell me stuff.
When I took out my contract I ticked the 2 boxes for no contact from o2 or third party company's.
I contacted o2 to complain and was told that this was not o2 but a company called LMB marketing, this was a blatant lie as how else did the company have all of my details plus passwords before they proceeded. I demanded that they cancelled my contract with immediate effect. They refused had a big row and was told to contact there higher level complaints by email.
I then searched on the internet only to find that o2 do work with LMB http://www.lbm.co.uk/whoWeWorkWith.aspx. Now i want out and nothing to do with this company. They must of broken some part of there contract
I'm after any advice, ive contacted Consumer Direct and they have told me to contact The Information Comission but this will no doubt be a long drawn process.
Any advice appreciated Andy

I would be very wary of this - unsolicited calls from companies pretending to be a well known company is common and they shouldn't be trusted.

Information is easy to access and you shouldn't tell them anything - just say you'll call them back and ring O2 direct.

I and my fiancé have been with O2 for many years and we've never had any of these type of calls. I would trust O2 a lot more than this LMB company at this stage.

Hope that helps.

I think I'd just contact LMB and ask how you opt out.

I'm with O2 and have not had a problem. I've even opted out of the O2 message offering me cheap tickets at O2 events etc without any problem.

I had a similar phone call ( i am with o2)

i also phoned O2 and asked them how the bloody hell they knew my number and when my contract was up.

I ended up with a rather cheap contract renewel from O2 so uh i ended up being happy.

unlimited landline
unlimited 02 to 02
unlimited texts
unlimited internet
1200 minutes
new blackberry

32 quid a month.

Hi Andypo

I have 2 contracts with O2, one of them being my wifes’ phone and to the best of my knowledge she has never had a call of the type you experienced though she does receive the odd sales call from various companies who have got hold of her number.

I get loads on my phone as it is seen as a business number and have had a few like yours who said they were O2.
The questions they asked made it clear they were not as they had some but not all my details and when challenged they backed off as soon as they realised I didn’t believe. One young lady tried to brazen it out however and when I asked if she was directly employed by O2 and they paid her wages she said yes. I said it was a lie IMO and I would contact O2 to investigate at which point she backed off very quickly saying she must have misunderstood my question. :roll:

I would trust O2 as far as any large corporation but It is clear that some organisations are prepared to say anything to get your info.

The CEO of O2 is Ronan Dunne as far as I know and this is the email address listed for him if it helps:-

[email protected]

Cheers

Bob

Just sent an email to him and 5 others after speaking to the information commission
here it is
My complaint.

Over the last few months I have had calls from a specific number which is 08000641087. When i answered the call they told me that they were from o2. I went through various security questions with them so as they could access my account. Upon completion of these they then proceeded to try and sell me various products.
Now this I did not like as I clearly ticked the boxes when signing up for my contract that I did not want to be contacted by o2 or any other 3rd parties.
I then contacted o2 to ask why I had been contacted, I was told that the number who had rung me was a company called LMB and that o2 had nothing to do with them. This was obviously a lie as on the LBM website

http://www.lbm.co.uk/WhoWeWorkWith.aspx

you can clearly see that o2 work with this company. I then contacted o2 again to say cancel my contract this is a breach of the Data Protection Act and also an Invasion of my privacy. The chap who took the call said that it was not a breach or an Invasion as o2 own LMB.
I have now contacted Consumer Direct who told me to contact the Information Commissioners office. I contacted them and they have advised me to write this email to yourselves first before they can intervene.

I am therefore requesting termination of my contract with no cost to me, with immediate effect due to o2 breaching the data protection act and the fact that you have invaded my privacy when I clearly stated at the time of taking out my contract that I did not want my details passed on or used for any marketing calls. If you refuse this request I request a detailed report and why you think that you have not breached the data protection act when clearly LMB had access to all my private details such as password mother maidens name etc.
I look forward to your speedy reply.

I am not a solicitor, but I can tell you that they have breached the data protection act in some way by the sounds of it.

It also appears that they were correct or at least the advisor was correct in saying "they" wernt part of the company.. however it can be part of without being part of if you know what I mean.

I wish you all the best... O2 should be kissing your A55 right about now and sending you sorry notifications etc and trying to resolve this... personally I dont like O2 and am with Orange... vodaphone messed me around too much and T mobile is not for me... and well dont get me started on Tesco mobile!!!!

jonrms":5bvz8ej5 said:
personally I dont like O2 and am with Orange... vodaphone messed me around too much and T mobile is not for me... and well dont get me started on Tesco mobile!!!!

:D :D :D Heaven help you if you fall out with orange - not many left apart from "3" :D :D :D

cheers

Bob

I went through various security questions with them so as they could access my account.

I'm sorry, but you should never do this. What makes you think they had the information already? All they needed was for you to 'helpfully' provide your security answers and they then type them in the appropriate boxes. Bobs your uncle, they have everything they need to access your account.

I suggest changing your passwords asap.

You had no idea if they really were from O2 - and they wern't.

Any company could say 'We work with O2'... doesn't mean it's a lie but it doesn't mean O2 actively endorse it.

If you search for LMB Marketing in Google you get links to forums complaining of the company ringing them up claiming to be O2, T Mobile etc etc back in 2008. It's a scum company basically.

For anyone else getting unsolicited calls - don't give them any information. Call them back and then you know you're talking to the correct company.

Jensmith":1ntpg7og said:
I went through various security questions with them so as they could access my account.

I'm sorry, but you should never do this. What makes you think they had the information already? All they needed was for you to 'helpfully' provide your security answers and they then type them in the appropriate boxes. Bobs your uncle, they have everything they need to access your account.

I suggest changing your passwords asap.

You had no idea if they really were from O2 - and they wern't.

Any company could say 'We work with O2'... doesn't mean it's a lie but it doesn't mean O2 actively endorse it.

If you search for LMB Marketing in Google you get links to forums complaining of the company ringing them up claiming to be O2, T Mobile etc etc back in 2008. It's a scum company basically.

For anyone else getting unsolicited calls - don't give them any information. Call them back and then you know you're talking to the correct company.

I'm with Jen on this one - any call I get from anyone like HSBC (my bank) or Orange - I'll ask them to confirm what DD I have and what they were last month. If it's a scam - they haven't got a clue.

I have had HSBC ring up and they confirmed my DD's - I'll ask for a name\team and the extension nbr. Then ring back on the main 0845 nbr for HSBC or 150 for Orange from the handset. Never ever discuss financial (or similar) matters with anyone ringing you - always ring back.

As for mobile companies - I've had a few calls asking whether I would be interested in a new contract now that my contract was coming to an end - I ask them to remove my details from their list as I deal direct with Orange. A 2nd call from them and I'll ask for their supervisor andthen ask a list of questions like,

- what's your registered company name, address, number (checking on companies house at the same time - if they've rung during office hours, is very unnerving for them, especially if they can hear you typing)
- What their Orange (that's who I'm with & they try to renew me with) authorised reseller number is.

Having initially said - Do you object if this call is recorded for training and security purposes?

I've never had anyone ring back after that kind of conversation. You'd be surprised what it does to the caller to be on the receiving end as opposed to the giving end.

HIH

Dibs

Latest posts

Back