Norton internet security question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just switched over to above virus software and I am disappointed that I do not seem to receive automatic daily updates. Or am I missing something?

In the past I had Trendmicro killing and updates seemed to come in almost hourly.

Therefore I am wondering if a new virus appears on the scene how does Norton protect me?

devonwoody":2ybiewm9 said:
I have just switched over to above virus software and I am disappointed that I do not seem to receive automatic daily updates. Or am I missing something?

Mine receives daily updates as far as I can tell. It flashes up to tell me.

Adam

Make surethat you have the Automatic Updates option turned on.

Norton doesn't updat every day - it checks to see if there is an update daily, but they normally only release updates once a week,(On Wednesday if I remember correctly) unless there is a particularly virulent virus doing the rounds, in which case they might do a "one-off" on another day.

Regards

Gary

Err, DW - I have a feeling of Deja Vu - see this thread.

You should have a 'Symantec NetDetect' entry in your Scheduled Tasks list (Start -> Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks (under Performance and Maintenance if you're in category view mode)) - it ought to indicate that it'll attempt to look for new updates every 4 hours.

2005 products seem to have new updates released weekly unless theres something critical, whereas 2006 products have new updates released daily (usually).

Richard

Thanks above & Tibbs.

The scheduled tasks was not set up correctly on my PC, it started to look after my server time was not available.

So hopefully I now wont be caught with my p....ts down.

Dev,

Even with auto live update turned on, it pays to do a manual live update once a month or so, as the automatc live update only gets virus definitions, whereas a manual live update gets any software mods or patches that they have released. They don't make this very clear in the documentation!

Regards

Gary

Back