No.3 last of the batch of bigger ones,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
DSCN3831.JPG

Yew 240mm diameter.

No4 is still in the shed, decided to play a cracking tune whilst my back was turned so looks like it may well end up as a bench tidy.
Still a couple of smaller bits to be sorted but recipient now wants some natural edge pieces so it's a move around of stock to see what's usable.

Attachments

• DSCN3831.JPG
    DSCN3831.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 964
That's lovely. The detail on the outside really accentuates the grain. Once I've a few bowls under my belt I may try something towards that detailing.

EnErY":28w2mq6g said:
I Like that it puts my efforts To Shame nice grain shape and contrast =D>
Regards
Bill
It's 80% down to the wood stock to be honest Bill; if it looks pretty then you are halfway there, basic start is to thread a way through the worst of the natural splits and this determines the individual form to get max out of piece that looks a reasonable shape.
Then secure any knots and pack any fissures as you go with CA.
Yew can be challenging when full of knots etc. but it's finishing that needs most care, it scratches easily, will not forgive any heat generated if you sand too vigorously (rapid onset of micro cracks) and will instantly highlight any cross grain scratches even from 240/320 grit as soon as you apply a sealer.

I like that external texturing too, and in an unexpected way using that sort of design sold a bowl for me recently. At the "Really Wild" food festival at St David's a local couple the husband being very short sighted but able to see and his wife being blind were browsing the stall, she was "looking" with her hands, it was fascinating to watch!
Eventually she happened across a little Ash bowl that had such a finish and immediately said "I want this one!"

Sold.

Yeah, found out about that heat cracks on my first attempt with yew, spent awhile wondering what the hell the noise was..

Back