Next project - MDF??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggrajag

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a project lined up but for the project after that I'm thinking of starting to add highlights of colour into my scene - maybe a gold star on a Christmas tree and coloured presents around it, just spots of colour, not everything.

I guess MDF would be the best thing to paint (I hate the idea of "spoiling" wood by covering it) so does anyone have any tips for working with MDF? How thin can I go before it breaks too easily? Quality of material? Recommended suppliers?

Thanks in advance all.

Just my opinion but if I was going to take on that project I would steer clear of MDF, it's awful stuff to work with and a real pain to get a decent paint job on it. What I would use instead would be ply, especially birch faced ply, takes a beautiful finish with acrylic paints and 2 coats will give a professional finish. 6mm ply is fine on the scroll saw, any thinner you need to be a bit careful and have a zero tolerance hole for the blade and then it's okay.

Forget all about MDF - horrid stuff you won't find any in my workshop.
Good quality Nordic birch ply is nice (but not that grotty Asian stuff).

oh dear I have just got some MDF to pratice scroll saw cutting with thinking it would be good as it's cheap - got it given to me free in fact :?

sounds like I am going to have to not use it then. That or get a good mask to wear if I do - mind the wife might think I've gone kinky if I get a mask :p

You do need to wear a mask when using MDF. It does cut nicely and can be painted well (although really needs a good primer). Plenty of nice examples on here. I think it is just the dust that needs to be considered and people will wear masks for cutting but people do seem to forget that dust stays in workshops and MDF dust is so light the merest waft of something going past will make it airborne again. If you can work outside and wear a mask it should be ok. Once cut brush the dust off and the piece will be fine.

This is all just my opinion and others may have better advice. Ply is nice but more expensive so it depends on what you're doing but for a small project then the difference will be negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back