newbies second turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart c

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally the sun has relented so i have draged the lathe out into the garden for a second time feeling a litle more confident that things wont fly off and hit me so this time trying to make a dish from oak with cheap blunt in a second unbranded chisels hurry up flea bay and send those nice shiny marples i orderd. still i plugged away and finished up with this no quality and more scraping and sanding needed next time but im happy with no injurys it is flat and round and im defiantly hooked

Attachments

• turning 2.JPG
    turning 2.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 765
Satisfying isn't it!!

Nice dish.

I found it useful to practice lots of making shavings from cheap (free) offcuts as well (but must admit I couldn't resist knocking out a few bowls from nice bits too).

Martin

That's a good start. Puts my early efforts in the shade. One thing I'm glad I did in those early days was to leave the chucking point on so that I could revisit them. I knew I could only get better. :lol:

Good fun turning isn't it :D ! Good stuff for a second try, just keep making stuff and it will just get better and better. Oak isn't an easy wood to start out with (I know, when I started Oak is all I had!), sharp tools and lots of practice is the key!!

Back