Newbie with many questions about building a shed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
samcro1982":27v2s9cd said:
Full time job and 2 kids = not much time but something will be built and if I can incorporate something of a shed/workshop then win win
Give your kids some timber and let them start building it?

Hi, there is only pennies in the cost difference. Did the suppliers tell you the dimensions of the feather edge, some can be really thin.

cammy9r":3swfv4zd said:
Hi, there is only pennies in the cost difference. Did the suppliers tell you the dimensions of the feather edge, some can be really thin.

I'm not too sure so will need to find that out before I order as thicker the better right

Hi, yes thicker is better for cladding i think. Feather edge is usually given in an odd expression as 2ex 32mm for example. This means the original size of the board was 32mm thick then split giving two tapered boards with actual size of about 20mm tapering down to maybe 9mm.
That example is a good size but can be expensive, at least locally to me. It was my first choice but over budget thats why i picked the square edged board. In Scotland it is called sarking board but that i think is a regional term

sitefive":3begsw2c said:
Is that all the space you got?
if not why not build something a bit better? I did some calculations last year ( with lots of 2nd hand materials,mainly the windows/doors) you can build a ''shed'' like this at 30square meters large for right around 2.5k , thats with proper roof/insulation/flooring so its a real workshop not yet another terrible looking shed.
$_57.JPG

see the guy even has listed what kind of materials he has used,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6m-x-4m-Garde ... SwpDdU-c8h

Complete and utter nonsense, probably the greatest example of bullshite on this forum, this millennium (trust me that is quite an achievement).

I see later you have changed the spec, however if my Auntie had pinapples she'd be my uncle and all that.

This is my 7.5x4m workshop.
It'll cost about £5k with all the electrics, bathroom, kitchen and stove in... I hope.
There is about another £200 worth of misc that's notincluded, such as dpm, dpc screws etc but I had all of those anyway.
I'll be making the doors and windows myself, no way you could get it all in for £2500, maybe if you knicked all the stuff of site.
shed.png

Attachments

• shed.png
    shed.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,677
Ok so today I emptied the old 8x6 excuse for a shed that is crammed to the rafters with everything including the kitchen sink. I then moved the old shed onto the patio and then put it back together to store everything again. Now with the site a little clearer I set about cleaning the whole area. I then moved the new materials into the back garden for safe keeping and dry laid the concret pads and forming out to get an idea of the size and what I'm facing. I've tried to upload some pics but saying too large to upload on my phone. I'll try again at some point this weekend to show what I'm on about. Having to work on the car tomorro morning so may have to return to the workshop Sunday. Thanks again for all the input.

Hi All a little update - I have built the base now and included a DPM. (Pics to follow)
I started yesterday on the walls building each one in 2 sections incase I ever move and I look to take the workshop with me. it is 7ft at the front and about 6ft 8'' to the rear. I managed to build the back and 2x sides and I mocked them up with the use of alot of clamps and help with the father in law. Work has now stopped until the weekend Whichj I then hope to have the stud walls up with noggins and have them securley attached to the base. Im having a flat roof so I need to order the roof wood next - anyone have input on best options to use ? ie felt/coregated roofing sheets etc ? pics and pointers always welcome. As always when I can find out how to easily upload my pics from my phone I can let everyone see my work so far.

Don't make your roof absolutely flat, put at least a little fall on it.
You will need to go for a suitable flat roofing material as other systems like corrugated bitumen sheets are designed based on a pitched roof not a flat roof.
You can build a large shed cheaply but its a lot more labour intensive.
You will need to source as much used material as you can, this means buying used ply wood sheets and de-nailing them yourself.
find a local surplus building materials place as they are normally very cheap.

So far all my materials have been new, so the costing isnt as cheap as it could have been if I had of used reclaimed but now most of the framework is done I may get reclaimed for the roofing beams and OSB (how thick is advisable for the roof ? it will sit on minimum 4x2 beams, my roof does have a fall on it approx 4 inches across a 8ft span which I think will be more than enough for any rain water we may get in this country.

samcro1982":1iy32hpi said:
So far all my materials have been new, so the costing isnt as cheap as it could have been if I had of used reclaimed but now most of the framework is done I may get reclaimed for the roofing beams and OSB (how thick is advisable for the roof ? it will sit on minimum 4x2 beams, my roof does have a fall on it approx 4 inches across a 8ft span which I think will be more than enough for any rain water we may get in this country.

You shouldn't need anything more than 11mm OSB otherwise it becomes hard work hauling it up and on to the roof, especially if working on your own.

I was thinking 11mm so thank for confirming - is it adviseable to put a DPM on the roof ? So 4x2 then DPM then batterns then OSB then a waterproof covering on that ?

samcro1982":26kir9ly said:
I was thinking 11mm so thank for confirming - is it adviseable to put a DPM on the roof ? So 4x2 then DPM then batterns then OSB then a waterproof covering on that ?

I'm no expert but I don't think that a DPM sheet will be needed as your roof covering will keep the roof structure waterproof and the OSB should provide a vapour barrier for the inside.

That's good you are getting on with the build. I used 11mm osb for my roof, the rafters being 400mm on centre. Im sure if rafter spacing is larger then thicker sheet material is needed. However as already said 18mm is heavy and a pain to handle if on your own. I have a smaller hut with 9mm osb on the roof, again rafters on 400mm and this has been fine for many years but you feel it flex a good bit if walking over it.
You will not need a dpm under the osb, might even create a space for condensation if unlucky. If you want an extra layer of protection then use the breather membrane instead, then osb then felt or other roof covering.

Just tried to upload pics again and still saying files too big grrrrrrrrrrrr
Anyway - Ive decided on felt roof, with a breather membrane .

Tomorrow I am off so Im hoping to be up at the crack of dawn and bolt all the walls together and then fix them to the base ready for the roof to go on. Im hoping all 4 walls and roof to be on before close of play tomorrow then I have the weekend to try and get the Featherboard on.

Latest posts

Back