Newbie - New question.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisfarrow

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, given the excellent advice on my last query I bashed out another oak bowl from a piece of scrap I had lying around. A combination of careful toolwork and the application of my new Crown Side Cut Scraper gave me quite a nice finish with very little end grain problems....not perfect, I know that, but much improved and I was pretty pleased.....

_MG_9111.jpg

Of course every time you solve one problem another raises its head....so given the unquestioned array of expertise hereabouts, how would you deal with this little issue......perhaps some ca glue or epoxy resin? :wink:

_MG_9112.jpg

This one will be going on the shelf right in front of the lathe where I will see it every time I go turning as a reminder to check....not guess.... :cry:

Attachments

• _MG_9111.jpg
    _MG_9111.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,580
  • _MG_9112.jpg
    _MG_9112.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,580
chrisfarrow":397yawzd said:
Well, given the excellent advice on my last query I bashed out another oak bowl from a piece of scrap I had lying around. A combination of careful toolwork and the application of my new Crown Side Cut Scraper gave me quite a nice finish with very little end grain problems....not perfect, I know that, but much improved and I was pretty pleased.....

Of course every time you solve one problem another raises its head....so given the unquestioned array of expertise hereabouts, how would you deal with this little issue......perhaps some ca glue or epoxy resin? :wink:

This one will be going on the shelf right in front of the lathe where I will see it every time I go turning as a reminder to check....not guess.... :cry:

been there...done that

firewood..lesson learnt...until i do it again

Steve

Yep been there, I tried that design where the inside is turned bigger than the outside. Luckily I managed to rescue mine by putting in a plug.

DSCF0805.jpg

Bore the hole and make a disc (could be contrasting wood) to fit.

Note the fit only needs to be with the existing bowl and the new disk. Then when the glue has set well, re turn it. ( make a tenon on teh disk when you make the disk, it will be true to thew disk.. aligningt the bore with the rim of the bowl might take a little ingenuity.

tip wooden face plates are your friend :)

I think the only way you can get a bowl to be bigger on the inside than on the outside is by living in a Tardis. (And WHO would want that? Groan)

Hmmm, like the idea of plugging it.....that will test my skills!

Calipers, yes, fingers will have to for now but a proper pair will go to the top of the ever-extending-and-already-extremely-long-wanted/needed list....

I actually do have such a list detailing all the bits I want/need. When I started it I had a column for cost and a running total at the bottom......it got too scary so I deleted the cost bit.... :lol:

A simple depth gauge can be made from scraps of wood, or two steel rules held at right angles works well for me (still doesn't stop occasional errors when you're just enjoying those shavings flying over your shoulder a bit too much)

chrisfarrow":jtgkl6oo said:

Calipers, yes, fingers will have to for now but a proper pair will go to the top of the ever-extending-and-already-extremely-long-wanted/needed list....

I actually do have such a list detailing all the bits I want/need. When I started it I had a column for cost and a running total at the bottom......it got too scary so I deleted the cost bit.... :lol:

You can always make some from thin ply or mdf. And yes the cost can be very frightening when you start to add it up, you just need to buy as needed don't make a long list of what you think you may need as you will end up with equipment that is very rarely used. Many on here have tools that they brought and now they sit idle in the rack.

chrisfarrow":31xbfjwu said:

I like your strategy for cost awareness avoidance :)

Its probably worth mentioning that Axy do a set of pretty inexpensive calipers so it might not damage that "hidden cell" too badly :)

chrisfarrow":3tetsbvf said:

Have a look at proops bros website

Chris if you want a cheap depth gauge get a scrap bit of wood and a dowel mate, it will be an easy tool to use and a tool that will be used many times over.
You can use it for bowls and hollow forms Les

Attachments

• depth gage.JPG
    depth gage.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,121
Back