New toy - Meddings Pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a complete guess TobyT, I've never looked at such a gearbox, but looking carefully at your pix I think those gear forms are supposed to be like that. Apart from a few rough "lumps" here and there, which I presume are just dead grease and other carp, all the forms look very regular and even - maybe a little wear but not much.

Apparently (again I have no experience myself) Meddings are very helpful, so how about sending them a copy of your pix and see what they have to say?

I've remarked on other threads that I really do admire and appreciate all you people who're spending effort on resurrecting "old iron". More power to yer elbow mate.

Thanks for posting.

AES

Holy thread resurection!
I'm about to collect a Meddings Drill Tru MkII tomorrow.
The belt cover top cowling is completely missing though. Called Meddings, promised biscuits via post ;-) , but alas, nothing they have available. Any ideas where I can find one please folks?

Mine's a drill tru and pretty sure a Mk11. can't check as it doesn't say that on the machine but Meddings confirmed it from the serial number and the info is saved somewhere on a hdd.

If the same as yours then the pully cover is just plastic and wouldn't be difficult to make something up even in MDF or ply. There's a handle on the top
which you loosen slightly and the cover can swivel for easy access to change speed.

Just taken some pics on my phone but not very clear and to see it you need to ignore the other bits fitted like the flexi lamp.

Attachments

• IMG_2419.JPG
    IMG_2419.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2420.JPG
    IMG_2420.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2421.JPG
    IMG_2421.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 75
Plastic? Really?
If that’s the case, I can probably make something to suit. For some reason, I’d imagined it to be cast. Thank you both.

Deadeye":1yetqmro said:
Lons' machine looks like the base and table of a Mk 2 and the body of a newer machine.
I bought mine from a neighbours wife when he died, knew him for 25 years and I know he bought it new so hadn't been modified. He was an engineer with a passion for bespoke model trains, wish I'd bought his Myford ML7 as well.
The machine is very heavy, too much for a one man lift and solid as hell, does all I ask of it.
The guy at meddings when I queried the machine confirmed it is a Drill Tru and I'm pretty sure said it is a MK2 but woill need to find the correspondence to be certain. I gave the serial number and emailed some pics but that was a while ago.

I think the Drill Tru is different to standard Meddings though so that might be the reason.

I'm away golfing tomorrow but will take some better photos and post when I get time.

Just found this on ebay after a very quick look and though in a state it looks very similar to mine apart from the start / stop switches. The ratings plate is identical axcept for serial number but it's described as " DRILTRU MK III DTF " https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133147957851

phil.p":3kji7jrs said:
I bet yours hasn't the arc of shame that one has. :lol:
Yeah looks as if it's had a hard life Phil, I can't believe they're asking £450 for it in that state. :roll: They're a company selling s/h machines so you would think they know what they're worth.

Looked at the pics of of that one again this morning and it has a different base, it's 3 phase so that would explain the switches but there's a doubt in my mind now which mine is, not impossible that I'm getting that mixed up with my bandsaw model, will have a look over the weekend.

I've banged an email off to Meddings as I'm too lazy to search through my archives for the info, I keep everything well organised but for some reason the Meddings info isn't where it should be so might have accidentally dragged the file into a wrong folder.

I'm blaming old age for my confusion. :oops: What day is it again?
They steal your trousers while you're asleep you know :( :wink:

Deadeye":3k72dvct said:
Ah - ok, solved. Yours is MkIII and mine MkII
I don't know if mine is a Mk3 as the base is different from that one on ebay. I emailed Meddings but the office is closed until Monday so will see what they say.

Got it home, unloaded from the car, and my back muscles seem to still be working. Currently cleaning down with wire wool to remove surface goo, then I'll strip it and give it a bath to remove (not much) rust (see posts above). First thing to be swapped will be the belt. Meddings parts list shows '42M' Vee Belt, but the actual belt fitted shows Z1090 marked on it. So I'll give Meddings a call Monday, see if they have anything in stock. If they laugh outloud, I'll take that as a no, and look elsewhere... any suggestions where to start?

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 98
Belts and bearings are standard parts and far better purchased for sensible money from local suppliers or on line than as oem spares.
Cogged belts tend to be quieter and give good grip on small diameter pulleys typically found on multi speed drives.
You need a 42" belt or near metric equivalent z or spz section.
eBay as good as any supplier and quick too.

Got a reply from Shirley at Meddings today who confirmed my machine is indeed a DrillTru Mk3 dated 1990 and supplied through RS Components which makes sense as my neighbour and original owner was employed by them as an electrical engineer at that time.

She also sent me pdf files including wiring, parts list and exploded diagram plus pic of the front sales sheet.

They are a top notch company when it comes to service, especially as there is nothing in it for them except perhaps the odd spares sale and some word of mouth recommendation.

Attachments

• Driltru Mk3.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Driltru Mk3 (2).pdf
    827.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Driltru Mk3 (3).pdf
    858.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Driltru Mk3 Wiring.pdf
    296.7 KB · Views: 10
Making Shavings":2jmoa58v said:
Holy thread resurection!
I'm about to collect a Meddings Drill Tru MkII tomorrow.
The belt cover top cowling is completely missing though. Called Meddings, promised biscuits via post ;-) , but alas, nothing they have available. Any ideas where I can find one please folks?

I just picked up a Drill Tru Mk2 myself - can we compare notes?

I wanted to send a message but I'm new to the board.

Back