New to the forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again
In my previous comment I forgot to add that I have an Axminster planer thicknesser which I'm quite pleased with, and is very good value for the price paid, so I'm not trying to put Axminster down. I'm just saying that they sell some dubious quality stuff as well as nice products (as, obviously, do Clarke stockists).

K

My Coronet multi function workshop which includes a supurb lathe is still for sale in the sales section

K have you let Axy know of your disapointment? I have coontacted them over several problems over the past 16 or so years and they sort it. Not everything from anyone can be brilliant, but it's the responce after a problem that's the difference.

I realise what you are saying and agree completly, pay cheap, buy cheap. One of the things the sheds do here is to sell some really cheap c r a p and people grab it. Then complain that it is rubbish. You just can't win because the sheds just give that Galic shrug.

Jonzjob":1uy4ccol said:
K have you let Axy know of your disappointment? I have contacted them over several problems over the past 16 or so years and they sort it. Not everything from anyone can be brilliant, but it's the response after a problem that's the difference.

Have to agree with this, the few times I have had any problems with stuff I had from Axminster they sorted it out in very short order, no messing about, the customer service from them is excellent and they will always be my first port of call for stuff I need. (or want, there is a subtle difference that is affected by the condition of my wallet!)

Perhaps I was a bit harsh!!

OK, point taken, I should have complained to Axminster when I first had the problem (with the welding helmet, because that's the main one that I was really annoyed about since it cost £50 and I used it literally twice). To be fair they did replace my digital calipers FOC, albeit with one which had the same fault, but then they wouldn't know that anyway.

As I said I've had some nice bits from them, and the other tools that were disappointing were on the inexpensive side anyway, so it's to be expected.

I suppose the bottom line is that Axminster are guilty of nothing more than trying to cater for all pockets, and to do so they need to sell Far Eastern goods. Also they do give guidance on the quality of lots of their stuff (hobby, trade etc) and I have found that a big help.

And of course, you simply HAVE TO have their tools catalogue, and not just to buy from - it's great for just browsing through.

So, as I said at the start, perhaps I was a bit harsh on them. But Clarke tools - now that's a different matter entirely.

K

Your welding helmet seams to me to be working just fine, they are not designed to charge in sunlight as such. The photovoltaic is meant to charge from the intense light of your welder, if you've only used it twice I imagine that will be why it isn't charged up.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Hi Deserter,
regarding the welding helmet - I can thoroughly recommend them and this one was really great to start with, so easy to strike an arc when you can see where the tip of the rod is. I was really careful with it, and stored it in it's box before using it again. Then after some months, it just didn't react to the arc light, which is a very nasty experience. I was advised that the battery had gone flat by being stored in a box, so I should try leaving it in the sunlight, which I did.
It would respond (darken) for a second or two, then go clear despite the arc light. This was the case from then on, whatever I tried.

There was no mention of what to do about a flat battery etc in the limited instructions, or whether to store in the light or dark so they were no help.

Finally, a visiting marauding moggie knocked some stuff off a high shelf which landed on the 'solar panel' and cracked it, so that has put an end to it. I would really like another auto darkening helmet, but I won't buy another one of this type again. Perhaps £50 is too cheap for one - I've seen them for over £100, but that's a lot of expense for an occasional welder to justify. I have other things that take a higher priority.

Anyhow, thanks for your comments.

K

I have a star parts mask, it cost around £200 and has been going strong for years. I used to have to have one for work hence the big spend. I do agree though they are so much easier to work with. Mine defaults to a very dark green if the battery fails (lvl 9 I think) which is still safe, but agreed very unpleasant.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

I joined an American woodworking forum and find them not very friendly like here

Did you get a lathe in the end? You're still welcome to come and have a play on mine if you want to and I go to a club in Hawarden every second Tues of you ever want to come along for a look.

Noggsy":3rwrp5gc said:
Did you get a lathe in the end? You're still welcome to come and have a play on mine if you want to and I go to a club in Hawarden every second Tues of you ever want to come along for a look.
thanks for the offer but can't have one yet due to lack of room in my shed

A lot of people seem to be slagging the Clarke cwl325v. I have one, and it serves me well, no problems with it at all. I only use it for model making, but it is quite powerful for that purpose.
Martin

Latest posts

Back