New table saw advice please...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickds1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

I currently have a rather old Axminster BTS10 - it's sort of "OK", but the fence is rubbish and there are a few other things I dislike about it...

I'd like to get a decent new table saw in the 1400-2000W range with an induction motor, but the top must be good and the fence precisely adjustable (preferably rack&pinion) for good repetition and accuracy. Budget around the £500 mark...

Portability is a bit of an issue, so I frame type stand supporting a detachable saw would be good, like a posh site saw table

The atmosphere in the woodwork shop is a bit damp, so a ground steel top, whilst ideal, might suffer, which would be sad... that said, if there's a way to protect it, that'd be good too...

I'd also prefer standard T slot sizes...

Thoughts appreciated...

If you are asking about buying new for £500 then you could be struggling. I bought the Axminster AC216TS just over a year ago when it was a smidge over £500 (it's over £600 now) but the induction motor is 1100W. It's fine for what I need as long as I remember to take a couple of passes with thicker bits. The fence is OK (not great) and the dust extraction is virtually non existant. It has a cast iron top and weighs 70kg so, not very portable. I've heard the DeWalt is also good, much lighter but not induction so you'll need ear defenders.

sorry but thats not enough money.......
there are a few older machines about ...Kitty etc.....but the motor's are prob not that powerfull.....and wont have a 10" blade.....
there are a few good site saw's around...a steel top will be all there is prob and the fence wont of the high end qual.....but they are not for cabinet making.....
do u really have to pick it up and move it....?
better to keep what u have and get an older fixed machine......u'll get something good for that kinda money...

For what it's worth I just bought a 12" cast iron sip that's about 5 years old (I think) for £700. Keep your eyes peeled for used saws. There was a kity 1619 for sale on here just the other day I think for say £450 maybe?

I bought the Kity 1619 - thanks for heads up. Nice saw. It's in the workshop and I'm just giving it some TLC, but it seems pretty good really...

It came with some blades that have been around the block a bit, so I'm sending them off to Dooly's in Faversham next week - certainly an awful lot cheaper than buying new blades...

If you are asking about buying new for £500 then you could be struggling. I bought the Axminster AC216TS just over a year ago when it was a smidge over £500 (it's over £600 now) but the induction motor is 1100W. It's fine for what I need as long as I remember to take a couple of passes with thicker bits. The fence is OK (not great) and the dust extraction is virtually non existant. It has a cast iron top and weighs 70kg so, not very portable. I've heard the DeWalt is also good, much lighter but not induction so you'll need ear defenders.
The Dewalt is completely different thing to the Axy. The Dewalt is a site saw that's compromised for portability. It's ok for a hobbiest woodworker, but you are paying for its robust lightweight nature on a job site rather than a sturdy accurate small cabinet saw for a workshop.

I'm surprised you say the fence on the Axy is not great. Mine has fantastic repeatability, is solid and has the sub fence to allow small part ripping under the guard. It's only really missing a micro adjuster - compared to the competition it's way ahead.

The dust extraction being fully enclosed around the under table blade assembly and from the table top guard is substantially better than you'd get from buying 30 year old "old iron".

Back