New Stone Fireplace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
As this is not strictly "woodwork" the mods may wish to move it, but as most of us are into DIY as well, I thought some may find it of interest. This is a project that I recently finished. SWMBO decided that we needed a new hall carpet - well it was 29 years old and had seen 2 x teenage children and 2 dogs, so she had a point. Then of course it had to match the stair-carpet, and as the lounge, dining room and study carpets were of a similar vintage, it wouldn't look right unless they were replaced as well, and wouldn't it be nice if the whole ground floor matched. Have you ever been on the receiving end of one of these conversations?

Then as we have never liked the very heavy stone fireplace, if this was ever to be replaced it had to be before the new carpet was fitted, or it would never happen. It is in these ways that bank accounts are emptied.

We looked at natural stone fireplaces but they were an "arm and a leg" job - £3,500 plus fitting! So we eventually settled on a reconstituted Bathstone fireplace from Templestone Fire Surrounds in Castle Cary. Lovely people to deal with and a good product at an affordable price. We opted for their Jacobean model.

This is what we wanted to get rid of. The photo is kind to it. In real life it was heavy and oppressive and dominated the room.

DSC00208.JPG

So, it had to go. It was built into the blockwork and off the floor slab, and the plastering and screeding had been done around it. So had to make good the screed and plaster before I could even start the fitting.

DSC00419.JPG

The fire recess was faced with brick slips about 20mm thick, and they took an age to point in.

DSC00522.JPG

And here's the end result. Never done anything like this before and I'm pleased with the result.

DSC00527.JPG

So, with that behind me I can get back to doing some woodwork! The tables on the right are a project from about 25 years ago.

Unbelievable, my wife and I had the same conversation last year, she got the carpets but not the fireplace...................yet.
I really like that one a lot Roger, so I'm nicking your idea :)

Dom

Roger

When I opened the post I only saw the top pic and without reading I thought - Oh my god, he's not just put that in has he!?!

Luckily I read on. Looks so much better its difficult to describe.

Well done

Cheers

Tim

Fabulous job, Roger =D> We have an open fire with a stone fireplace very much like your original one, only bigger, and I hate it. I've been wondering what to do as a replacement and I may well pinch your idea when I get around to doing it. The new one looks quite classy and unobtrusive.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I like this one...

I want a wooden surround, but there is some legal mumbo-jumbo about minimum distances from the Baxi-metal frame. Non compliance will negate my maintainance Insurance.

I don't want a high Victorian mantlepiece in my house, so I might just go for a stone surround similar to your mod Roger, but with straight lines...
Cheers m'man.

John
:)

tim":1lp3v0uv said:
When I opened the post I only saw the top pic and without reading I thought - Oh my god, he's not just put that in has he!?!

Ditto!!

Looks good Roger :)

Dave

Dave S":srnbt7au said:
tim":srnbt7au said:

Ditto!!

Caught your attention tho' didn't it! :)

Thanks for the kind words guys. Definitely a 2 man job to fit. The weight of the header was more than SWMBO and I could manage between us (and she can heave a hefty punch!:)) - and we had to bring in a neighbour to help lift it into place. The hearth stones were fixed in place using a flexible "slow set" floor tile adhesive, and the jambs were then set on top. The header was chased out on top to take stainless steel brackets to screw it to the wall before the mantlepiece was set in place, again using slow set floor tile adhesive. Quite painless really - the hardest part was removing the old one and "making good". I also took the opportunity to set a piece of conduit into the screed under the hearth to take speaker cables so that they no longer have to be hidden under the hearth rug, as seen in the top picture.

Latest posts

Back