New saw fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I am working on a project at the moment after reading a posting on another site, making a Biesemeyer fence clone for my table saw. I have managed to put most of the thing together and it is looking good. I have spent around £35 on it and think I have a winner. After seeing the price of the clones of this fence at around £300 it has got to be worth it. It slides easily and locks solid. I am in the process of adding a magnifying element to it at the moment and probably a 'T' track at a later date for feather boards and the like. I shall post pictures once it is complete. My table saw is a cheapo contractors one but with a new top and the fence should be a pretty accurate machine. :wink:

Sounds like a worthwhile improvement, I have a good fence on the Wadkin. I fit extra bits on to it to make it safer for some tasks.

mailee":3l0jco06 said:
Well I am working on a project at the moment after reading a posting on another site, making a Biesemeyer fence clone for my table saw. I have managed to put most of the thing together and it is looking good. I have spent around £35 on it and think I have a winner. After seeing the price of the clones of this fence at around £300 it has got to be worth it. It slides easily and locks solid. I am in the process of adding a magnifying element to it at the moment and probably a 'T' track at a later date for feather boards and the like. I shall post pictures once it is complete. My table saw is a cheapo contractors one but with a new top and the fence should be a pretty accurate machine. :wink:

Pictures?

John

Patience, John Patience, they are on their way. I will take some today although it isn't finished yet. I have been busy building it you know. :)

Here they are then John. I have not finished it yet and have some cheeks to put on the fence and a magnifying element for the scale. I will probably add a 'T' track to the top for feather boards too.
fulltableiv3.jpg

clampingdeviceig1.jpg

scaledx6.jpg

On reflection I think I should have mounted the scale on the track rather than on the table as once the magnifying element is mounted I will not be able to use the right hand side of the fence. I may re-think this part. The main construction is of a welded 'T' square of angle and box section steel with two small bolts for adjustment. A toggle clamp provides the clamping force and the whole lot is covered with 18mm varnished MDF. I am on the lookout for some MDPE or PTFE sheet long enough to cover the fence cheeks, failing this I may have to use some Lexan or similar material. It works well so far and is rock solid in use. The base of the slide and fence have HDPE pads bonded to them to make it slide smoothly over the table. It is a heavy beast but I think that is a plus for a fence.

Ohhhh! Now I do like that. =D>

Is that just standard box section you've mounted to the front of the saw for it to run on, or did you have something specially fabricated?

mailee":2q05zte0 said:
I am on the lookout for some MDPE or PTFE sheet long enough to cover the fence cheeks, failing this I may have to use some Lexan or similar material.
I'd suggest going with something like Formica laminate instead - it has superior wear characteristics to MDPE which will groove out in contact with MDF, chipboard (especially MFC) and plywoods. HDPE is a more suitable material for the function you require, especially if you go to 1000 grade (the hardest) but is costs much more than laminate

Scrit

Yes Guy, that is the forum I got the idea from. it is a wonderful site for jig making and accessories I have to admit. It is just standard box section Tarkin. It is screwed to some angle which is then screwed to the table top on the side. All of the steel sections are just readily available off the shelf. Sorry Scrit it was a typing error on my part it should have read HDPE and not MDPE. I have used HDPE in the past and it is great for making fences from I have a couple on my router table, very slicky stuff. I have managed to access some but at a price of £45 for a 4'X2' sheet of 3mm. I know it is much more costly than laminate but it is better and I can make some jigs out of the remainder of it anyway. Pity we aren't in the USA as it is much cheaper over there, but isn't everything! :)

Well I actually used to buy it for quite a bit less than that. Best value used to be the 100 grade regen. Doesn't look nie, but comes in at about the same price as 500 grade virgin.

Scrit

Latest posts

Back