New Piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark .. once again, its so very 'you' , yet different enough to drop the jaws !

Whens that Video of yours coming out !!!! ??? !!!

Lovely piece Mark,

Never seen anything by you that I didn't like.....
we've probably all seen turnings in parts of the world that are commanding thousands of £'s and no doubt achieving it for their creators....
For me.... you're pieces are in the same bracket, and whilst I'm almost sure your mindset will be 'its not all about the pounds shillings and pence' ... your work deserves to reward you and thus ensure 'continuity', if you know where I'm coming from.

And to be fair & balanced.. Corny's and Duncan's do the same for me as the 'beholder' too. -- all 'top turners' for my eye, .... love it, keep these astounding works coming, they're fabulous. :)

Mark,

You'ved managed to 'outdo' yourself again as far as I'm concerned. I started out two years ago as a 'purist' about wood - colouring it would have been heresy. However, pieces like this, and notable others, have also turned me to the 'dark side'! I don't suppose thare's any plans for a DVD on the techniques of colouring/texturing as used in this series of pieces? I've not as yet seen anything along those lines on DVD... unless anyone knows differently. (Apart from the Mark Raby and I'm not a big fan of his work - sorry!)

Jenx,

I've got Mark's DVD and if you're interested in part-turning/ seasoning/ hollowing techniques and how Mark makes his 'signature' finials it's well worth the asking price IMO.

Cheers.

Neil.

Hi all

Thank you for your comments.

Neil, this stage there is not any intention for me to make a dvd in relation to these techniques. At the moment I am learning as much as anyone else from People.

But one day if I develop them and the correct opportunity arises you never know.

I am looking at developing variations of the techniques but at this stage I am not proficient enough at them. But if people want to know bits and pieces I am happy for you to email me if I can help out.

My dvd is now out.

it covers

the selection and orientation of wood to make a lidded form

rouging a hollow form, showing close ups of the hollowing process

How to season the form.

how to re-mount and finish the form, covering the form and design

making the lid

how to make a carved finial in stages

finishing using the new Chestnut buffing system.

If any one is interested let me know via email or pm.

Hopefully Neil will give a more in depth opinion of it if you are interested in buying. I of course will say I like it. But it is only people that have watched it that are independent can really say what it is like.

Thank you all again, I am starting to tempt you all to the dark side. lol

take care

Mark

I really admire your work Mark and this new piece is no exception. I love the way you explore new ideas and directions and you've convinced me that - although I too love the appearance of wood for its own sake - there's nothing wrong with colouring and embellishing it to fulfil your vision. I have a way to go though before I feel confident enough to start exploring forms the way you do!

I also find your interest in the concept of wabi sabi fascinating as I first encountered this back in the 1970s and have always been drawn to the philosophy behind it myself. Whenever I bring it into conversation though it's always considered by others in the same light as feng shui, the tea ceremony and other far eastern concepts that the majority of westerners find so hard to take seriously. I can appreciate the ideas it's based on and continue to read more about it though.

Roy

Thank you very much for your comments.

I very much enjoy the Japanese philosophy's and have studied several over the years and have always found a lot of peace and foundation in the more simplistic way.

I also enjoy the process very much of trying to include this into my work. Some times I get it right sometimes not. But it is enjoyable trying.

You should not feel that you should not explore forms as I do. I found this passion when I just went for it and did not worry about ruining or failing to achieve what I wanted to.

I have learnt that if I step outsid eof my comfort zone in both techniques and idea then progress comes much quicker.

Mind you this piece is well within my comfort zone in relation to a lidded form as I make them all the time.

Thank you again, just have a go at making something you want to make.

have fun
Mark

What can I say that has not already been said...your work
is fantastic, always a pleasure seeing what you come up with next.
The color and texture is not only pleasing to the eye but has a peaceful
air about it.
Reading what you set out to acheve I can say undoubtly you not
only achieve it you 'mastered' it
Thanks for showing your work & look forward to your
next installment.
alex

Hi Alex

Thank you very much for your comments. I enjoy making this sort of work.

I hope to develope another one soon.

Thank you for taking the time to comment,

Take care

Mark

Back