New Pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMASB

Established Member
Reaction score

Hi all first try with a crushed velvet and satin gold slimline pen kit from Stiles & Bates.
Rounded the edges on the belt sander first, roughing gouge, then spindle master, need to clear the shavings a lot!! :roll: wet sanded with Micro-Mesh 1500-12000 finished with two coats of Brasso, then two coats of Ren Wax.Would this be ok or should I have put more coats on?
Thomasb (John really!!) May need to double click to get a better pic!!
:D :wink:

Hi Thomasb Good looking slimline for your first pen. :D I was not sure what you meant by using a belt sander to round the ends??????

Did you not use the bushings and shape the pen to them. I have made 100's of pens, and used many kits, but i have never shaped a blank this way. Can you give me more info on your method :)

Sorry Shedhead, I took the edges off the square blank before putting on the mandrel with the bushings, throught it may help it the gouge hit a rounded edge than a square edge, read it somewere that it may stop the acrylic breaking. If you have made 100s of pens any tips for a beginner?
Thomasb (John really) :D :) Happy Xmas to you.

nice pen john, looks like you have done a couple now, just been looking at your other pics.
No need for more than one coat of ren wax, works great.

John, what you have done is great,I have always started with a roughing gouge. If you start with bevel rubbing then lift your elbow up till you start removing material it will not rip off the corners. Guess i am not telling you anything new. Not much i can add to what you are already doing.
I like to use a kind of skew made by Hamlet, a ELI AVISERA tool This give a great finish on both wood & acrylic blanks. I had a go at casting my own acrylic blanks, its great fun.
The real fun starts when you move on to other kits, like European Sierra & the Cigar. As i only make for fun and give all my pens away i have not ventured into the more expensive kits.
Keep letting us see your work. :ho2

hi john, nice looking pen there my friend, how did you find the acrylics to turn ? oh and no need for anymore finishing. well done.

Thanks for the comments, nice to know when you are getting it about right!!
Greggy acrylics are a bit scary to start with, you keep thinking "it will break into small pieces any minute".
When you have finished and see the shine on it you think I did that, than you have trouble getting your head out of the shed door :roll: :roll:
Happy New Year to you :D :D

Back