Quantcast

New or used tablesaw ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

buffalobill

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum been reading a lot of post and looking at the many nice projects here.
I am a carpenter and build houses for a living but would like to have a small workshop/shed for other nice little woodworking hobby projects.
I am planning to make a work shop/shed this summer maybe i make a thread about it later.
But what i was wondering is I see there are many tablesaws from good makes to find at a good price used, is it better to buy a used old or should i go for a new ?
What i was thinking is that is better with a old altendorf than a new bernando or other saw in this price range am i wrong ?
I will be getting 3 phase in the shed.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
If you know the basics of metalworking and have some aquintance who car turn or mill metal pars for you if necsessary I suggest that you should buy secondhand. A good quality machine with 60 years of wear in it is generally less sloppy than a new one of hybbyist quality. As long as there is no mayor cracks in the castings most damage can be repaired in one way or another.
I would look for a machine that is not worn out. Local damage from careless handling is generally easier to repair than a worn out machine with slop everywhere.

Right now I am fixing up a worn out 1950-ies Stenberg planer/thicknesser/spindle moulder/ table saw combination which I bought secondhand from Sweden. Used machinery is insanely cheap in that country. The cost will be less than a quarter of the cost of a new combination machine of inferrior quality. Though machine restorations are very time consuming but I figure that I am paid for those hours in saved money.