New Lie Nielsen Corner Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wizer":1f4l8o6f said:
good luck sharpening those :shock:

If you're making mortises with the correct size mortise chisels these are not needed.

And since one can design your project mortises to suit your chisels, I see no reason not to!

BugBear

(I don't like cutting corners, generally. :wink: )

This is a topic that belongs in both camps. Machine and hand tools.
If you cut a mortice with hand-tools though, you won't need a 'corner-chisel'. So thinking about it, is this is a hand tool that only a machinist needs?

I do sometimes rout a mortice, but I rasp the tenons to suit. It might take longer than squaring off the mortice, but woodwork is a mostly hobby for me now, so no problem.

I could find use for a corner-chisel to square rebates in a pre-glued frame, but I use a spare hollow-chisel, kept aside for the job. A nice ash handle put over the sleeve of the chisel would be good, although a soft plastic mallet doesn't take much force and it makes the job a snip. :)

That said, I agree with His Nibs. Them there LN's are nice chisels. This time the pocket book stays closed though! 8)

Benchwayze":2vajtgzb said:
That said, I agree with His Nibs. Them there LN's are nice chisels. This time the pocket book stays closed though! 8)

It's ok my wallet empty :( but even if it were overflowing I won't be buying any, I've managed for years without one and quite honestly I just can't see that I would ever use one. :lol:

I bought a cheapo corner chisel years ago to trim my round Woodrat cut mortices - pretty useless and very difficult to sharpen.
In the end I perfected a matching rounded tenon using my Japanese saw rasp - very quick and easy.
Chisel never used again even for things like hinges - much easier to use a standard chisel?

Rod

Benchwayze":2cia54j4 said:
If you cut a mortice with hand-tools though, you won't need a 'corner-chisel'. So thinking about it, is this is a hand tool that only a machinist needs?

There's plenty of people using a mixture of power and handtools, so I suspect there may (well) be a market.

BugBear

Harbo":1g84g1bj said:
Chisel never used again even for things like hinges - much easier to use a standard chisel?

Rod
I think Rod's right, a tool that's not really needed as the standard bevel edge chisel will do the job just as well. I cut all my mortises with router now and just use normal LN chisels to square out the ends - Rob

Interesting that L-N are using O1 steel not their more recently adopted A2.
Wheelwrights used to use a version of this tool with an angle less that right angles to ‘square’ the angled spoke mortises in the hubs and fellows that had been created with an auger.
I have heard it suggested that these right angle versions can be used to square the corners of butt hinge mortises that have been created with a power router and template and so have the router cutters radius at the corners. This seems like a tricky thing to do accurately because the chisel is going to move considerably from its initial position due to the bi-directional wedging action. The deeper the mortise the worse the problem and the photo shows a considerably deeper mortise than a butt mortise.. This is likely to get worse as repeated sharpening is likely to increase the bevel angle.
I think I have managed to talk myself out of that side-slope….
Jon.

jonbikebod":oa6h8hu6 said:
I have heard it suggested that these right angle versions can be used to square the corners of butt hinge mortises that have been created with a power router and template and so have the router cutters radius at the corners.
Can't see the point there either. I square my hinge mortices with a 25mm bevel edged chisel without any problems.

Latest posts

Back