New lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
can anyone help, as a newcomer to turning i am not sure if i have a real problem, i recently bought a new Jet 1642 lathe from uk(i live in france)had a problem with it not running true especialy when using my clubman k10 chuck & spindle adaptor,unable to turn bowls or platters without chatter on edges and could actually see a wobble on face plate & chuck when revolving,got new spindle &bearings from jet, still have problem when using chuck but think it is the spindle adaptor faulty,turned a 10" disc on face platevery much improved but still not 100% perfect am i expecting too much or do i have a problem any ideas to what could be wrong. Jet suggest i get someone to look at it and claim any cost back. not easy in france.Any advice to put mind at rest.
Johnluc

Two things come to mind.

1. were the new bearing outers a good press fit in the headstock casting?

2. is the headstock seated properly on the bed and firmly clamped?

I.E. no burr or debris particle causing a minute rocking.

By saying that disk on faceplate was improved I presume you mean that it ran true but still had some tool chatter.

Also investigate the tool rest assembly for movement or flexing when clamped up.

CHJ":txymzjf1 said:
Two things come to mind.
thanks chas for your advice,checked all you said, seems to be running true,but still chatter & not feeling right when sanding seems slight vibration
johnluc
1. were the new bearing outers a good press fit in the headstock casting?

2. is the headstock seated properly on the bed and firmly clamped?

I.E. no burr or debris particle causing a minute rocking.

By saying that disk on faceplate was improved I presume you mean that it ran true but still had some tool chatter.

Also investigate the tool rest assembly for movement or flexing when c
lamped up.

chas
sorry about reply mixed in with your quote,about as good on computer as lathe,any more ideas or am i being picky
johnluc

Back