New Jessem domino tool - Pocket Mill Pro

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first question would be what is there to be gained by using this jig, it does not look to be as fast as the Domino 700 which can make a mortice very quick and to depth but then speed is pointless without accuracy, this Jessem jig cuts down 1.27 mm at a time which means to get a 70mm deep mortice requires more than 50 passes ! So I think you can drill two dowel holes with the Jessem dowel jig faster than a single domino mortice with this jig, the real question is why use domino's if you can get dowels in faster which is where the XL 700 should have come into it's own because the one thing it does well is make a deep mortice clean and fast, the solution might be a Jessem XL700 !

I’m guessing they’ve made this due to the general consensus of ‘dowels bad, dominoes good’ and figured they can sell more of these than their dowel jigs.

I think that is complete rubbish.
Honestly, it's completely pointless. 350 bucks! Wow.

Is there something this can do that the domino cant? I paid about £380 for my used DF500 and i cant see why I would want to pay nearly £300 for this over the domino?

Is there something this can do that the domino cant?
Probably place the mortices more accurately albeit a lot slower. The thing that got people upset about dowels was that at one time only the big workshops had the ability to place them precise enough for general use, you needed a very high level of precision which can now be obtained from Jessem or Dowelmax. You cannot use the smaller 500 domino in comparisons with dowels simply because of it's very shallow cutting depth which is fine for MDF and sheet goods.

Didn't Baldkev make one??

Cannot be too difficult to make??

Or just use a dowel jig and move along?

Sceptric, what aspects of accuracy is the domino not hitting the mark?

I'm a novice user of the DF500

My 700 only delivers when using the sloppy setting which on the 700 is a very sloppy setting. On sheet goods I can use my FC tools alignment jig (NEW) Domino Alignment Jig XL System Deluxe; (900 LONG PLATE) - FC Tools and if there were zero issues with alignment then Frank would not have had such a market for this jig. It is not all about the accuracy but for me the repeatability, no good getting three or four out of five bang on with one out. I have probably been spoilt by my dowelmax, it can allow me drill dozens of dowel holes and end up with no issues with alignment or closing joints. If you think how precise a line of say fifteen dowels needs to be in order to get a joint to close then my dowelmax delivered 100% so total confidence in it. My new Jessem dowel jig is also delivering exceptional results but not using alignment marks, much better to use rulers with stops fom the end of the jig.

Back