'New' Honduras Pitch pine, opposed to 'reclaimed'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe90

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have an enquiry from someone who wants a new (larger) table top made from Pitch Pine to match their existing table. I can buy 'new' Honduras Pitch Pine for approx £14 to £15 + VAT per cube in 2" thick boards. The customer intends to replace the top from the table shown with the new larger top which I will make. She will finish the new top herself.

What I'd like to know is whether there is any difference to be expected in appearance between the old and the new Pitch Pine? Will she be able to match the colour?
Specifically her question is... 'Does the new one have a honey colour like the old one?'

http://www.eccabinets.com/ExternallyLinked/Pitch-Pine-Table.JPG
(image won't display in post for some reason, it is small, 62Kb)

I have looked up Pitch Pine in my copy of 'World Woods in Colour' and can't find it.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Joe

hi joe,

from what i see it would be easier to remake the whole table in the same design and then your client can finish it all to the same colour , but that is probably just me.

woodbutcher :wink:

Hi Joe

Pitch pine (Pinus palustris) and Honduran Pitch pine (Pinus caribaea) are different species but should look similar to a point - the new wood will always look lighter initially and there will always be a bit of variation, even from boards from the same tree. Are you sure about what the original table is constructed from or is it just pine with a "pitch pine" stain finish in which case it becomes a finishing problem rather than a construction one?

Brian

Hi, I think I can give you a fairly authorative view point on this having worked with both salvaged Pitch Pine and the Honduras. In terms of working qualities the two woods are remarkably similar even the strong turpentine smell is the same. In colour there are differences and I found that some pieces of the Honduras are very close to PP but others could look almost as bland as Ramin so you have to be prepared to be selective.
The other issue as mentioned below is the aging effect, oxidation will darken the wood. I have some salvaged PP boards that even freshly through the planer are almost black. Salvaged PP is still available provided you are prepared to pay for it, I know my brother recently bought a 16"x16"x12' beam so it is out there.

I am in the process of making a table my self so i went to Wells reclamation yard today and got Qty 4 Lengths of PP 13" x 1.5" 7ft long for £300.00 old church pew seats (where theres muck theres brass )
Got back to the workshop and started work on them and the PP is looking fantastic. will post photo when finished.

Hi

Thanks for the replies, very useful.

BJM, thanks for the latin names for Pitch Pine, I have found it in 'World Woods' now... and no, I'm not sure at all that the existing table is PP, the customer seems fairly confident.

Phil Mitres, I'd be very interested in the pics when you're done! The reclaimed timber is a lot more expensive. Is it only Pitch Pine and some other pines which are 'reclaimed' and sold for many times the price of new timber? Besides any colour differences and the fact that the timber should be very stable what are the advantages?

Woodbutcher, I understand your point about remaking the entire table, probably easier alright as the frame isn't too complicated, it would still double the cost I suppose though compared to just making the top... I will suggest it to the customer.

Cheers
Joe

edited to add:
I may get it now, the proper Pitch Pine, 'Pinus palustris' isn't available new anymore, is this correct? ... this is why there is a market in reclaimed, proper, 'Pinus palustris' Pitch Pine?
And the Honduran Pitch Pine 'Pinus caribaea' isn't as good?

Not sure there is a problem with supply? - probably more an issue with quality available today ? (perceived or real)

Brian

Back