New Grinder Rests

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipmunk

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been working up to buying a new grinder for a while and managed to get a good price on a Creusen Slow Speed grinder via my local Brimarc dealer but had nothing left in the coffers for grinding rests.

So, I decided to make my own. It has to do the job for long-grind gouges for woodturning, other woodturning tools and for metal turning tools. My other requirement was since I have two wheels and I would like repeatable grinds on both wheels - coarse & fine.

So, here's the finished article...
IMG_20150223_202835_852_zpsrdicchlh.jpg

IMG_20150223_202827_793_zpsdcfmpw5r.jpg

I used to freehand grind my swept back gouges but since trying it I now really appreciate the easy repeatability of a jig these days. So, again I made my own jig. In the fullness of time I'll replace the top capscrew with knurled hex key with a knurled screw.

IMG_20150223_202702_912_zpsv8nmng60.jpg

Hope this inspires someone.
Jon

Hi Phil,
Thanks.

I'm not sure I ground away more steel before when free-hand grinding. The most difficult thing I found was maintaining a consistent shape over the long-term - shapes tend to evolve. Hopefully this way my gouges will be less prone to change but probably even now not completely immune.

Back