New Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbaker42

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently got an Axminster M900 and need to buy a chuck for it. After reading many reviews I had decided to get the Axminster K10 or Axminster Super Precision but on further reading it was suggested that the super precision might be too heavy for my lathe. Other possibilities seem to be the Robert Sorby Patriot or the Versachuck.

I had discounted the Supernova II after reading poor reviews about build quality since the move to China.

At the moment I am still leaning towards the Axminster offerings but of course neither are in stock.

Any advice more than welcome.

chrisbaker42":p2i3b9ow said:
I have recently got an Axminster M900 and need to buy a chuck for it. After reading many reviews I had decided to get the Axminster K10 or Axminster Super Precision but on further reading it was suggested that the super precision might be too heavy for my lathe. Other possibilities seem to be the Robert Sorby Patriot or the Versachuck.

I had discounted the Supernova II after reading poor reviews about build quality since the move to China.

At the moment I am still leaning towards the Axminster offerings but of course neither are in stock.

Any advice more than welcome.
Hi,

I can only say that from my experience the weight aspect is no problem. My lathe came with one of those 'orrid 4 independent jaw chucks as standard and the Versachuck I replaced it with is no heavier. I would have thought that any extra weight would be a good thing anyway to add a bit of inertia when the motor is not exactly over-endowed with horse power.

It transformed the way I work and has many different accessories available and backplates to fit just about any lathe on the market. As a fairly recent starter, I have no knowledge of any of the alternatives.

My only concern about the K10 is that it is the same type of mechanism that you get on a normal drill chuck and uses the same type of chuck key and I did find some comments about it getting a bit loose after a lot of use.

chrisbaker42":2mgp170y said:
My only concern about the K10 is that it is the same type of mechanism that you get on a normal drill chuck and uses the same type of chuck key and I did find some comments about it getting a bit loose after a lot of use.
The same mechanism is used on other chucks - e.g. the Oneway Stronghold and I've had no problems.

Hi, I had the M900 and used a AX SP on it with no problems at all. Also has the advantage the the backplate is interchangable so if you were to change lathe in the future you could keep the same chuck. I am not sure if this is the case for the K10 - others Ax could advise.

When I bought my chuck I just walked round the shows looking at what was being used - probably over 50% pros seem to use the SP so that was it for me. A bit more expensive to start but almost 8 yrs on and not missed a beat or really showing any sign of use (other than a generous coviing of chestnus stain / finish)!

Thanks to everyone for their advice, the main problem at the moment is that axminster seem to have very limited stock and of course none of the ones I want in stock. I think I will now contact other suppliers to see what they have.

Total change of plan, I phoned Poolewood machinery only to be told if Axminster were out of stock then it would probably be the same everywhere so I decided on the Sorby Patriot which not only was in stock but was on special offer at least £15 cheaper than their website.

hi chris
just to say should you need anything in the future, may i suggest a visit to Timberman in Bronwydd, just down the road in carmarthen.
i am also new to this game and have found all the staff very helpful, loads of nice thingys to look at in the shop (leave wallet at home :) ) and he also sells blanks. also , suprisingly for a small shop, quite a few things i have bought there are actually cheaper than i can find on the tinterweb.
so i recommend a visit if your in the area.

have a nice day :D

Thanks a lot, I have been there before but never realised he sold wood turning supplies as well, amazing what you don't notice if you are not really interested. Having bought a chuck and powered respirator today I think I will have to leave a visit until funds are replenished but I will certainly be going there.

Back