need another plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbrains":yupdbqnm said:
Hello,

Not that it has much to do with the new Kunz designs here, but their adjustable mouth spokeshave, based on the old Stanley design, is very good indeed, with a little fettling. I love mine.

Mike.

I've taken my two Ebay spokeshaves to work and will fettle if I ever get the time to do it.
I did try flattening the blades and it was a lot of work as they were far from flat, also backed off by previous owner, so need some grinding.
Does one replace the blades or are they good enough to hold an edge?

Regards,
Dave

Dovetaildave":8hfygsw4 said:

Regards,
Dave

You are the only one here who has used the blades you have, so you are the only one in a position to judge.
If you want a suggestion, I'd suggest that you are unlikely to be using them for as many hours at a time as you might use a bench plane, so edge retention is unlikely to be a big problem and replacement would be a waste of money. Spokeshave irons are not difficult to sharpen, though some people like to use a holder (a piece of scrap wood with a sawcut to grip the blade) to give them something bigger and easier to hold.

AndyT":krnvnle5 said:
Dovetaildave":krnvnle5 said:

Regards,
Dave

You are the only one here who has used the blades you have, so you are the only one in a position to judge.
If you want a suggestion, I'd suggest that you are unlikely to be using them for as many hours at a time as you might use a bench plane, so edge retention is unlikely to be a big problem and replacement would be a waste of money. Spokeshave irons are not difficult to sharpen, though some people like to use a holder (a piece of scrap wood with a sawcut to grip the blade) to give them something bigger and easier to hold.

Makes judging the angle easier too.

BugBear

AndyT":9lev16cq said:
Dovetaildave":9lev16cq said:

Regards,
Dave

Regards,
Dave[/quote]

My apologies for hijacking/attempted hijacking of the OP's, even worse now, cos I'm still going :oops:

I must admit I did just shoot off the question without explaining myself well, note to self, large coffee before looking at the forum.
http://www.kunz-tsm.de/hobel/schabhobel/55.php
http://www.kunz-tsm.de/hobel/schabhobel/50.php

For the concave ill have to either sandpaper and dowel it for about three mm, to remove the back-bevel, or just keep it going, feels strange not a "ruler trick" kinda person.
Similar situation for the convex but a lot easier to stone it all off.

I think I should really have asked about annealing and tempering, allowing larger softer removal on the concave blade me thinks, anyone got any advice/tips on that?

Regards,
Dave

Dovetaildave":erbf81j7 said:
woodbrains":erbf81j7 said:
Hello,

Not that it has much to do with the new Kunz designs here, but their adjustable mouth spokeshave, based on the old Stanley design, is very good indeed, with a little fettling. I love mine.

Mike.

I've taken my two Ebay spokeshaves to work and will fettle if I ever get the time to do it.
I did try flattening the blades and it was a lot of work as they were far from flat, also backed off by previous owner, so need some grinding.

Regards,
Dave

I bought the kunz shaves, specifically, because I had heard about and, consequently, read an article about "improving" old or poorly made new ones (stanley, record, anant) and decided it was so ridiculous that it warranted my doing such on a one of the most notoriously disdained brands. i didn't get far before i got bored, but i did order a "premium" blade as instructed (lumped in with a taller order). The notches in the new blade had to be reground to actually fit, otherwise, there was no discernible difference. The kunz blades are just fine, says, I: a random person on the internet. The sole, mouth and bed really did need to be cleaned up (grinding/filing/sanding) to function, however. Whereas, normally, I shake my head in disapproval at the literature suggesting that sort of thing is necessary.

yetihunting":20ru1rh2 said:
Dovetaildave":20ru1rh2 said:
woodbrains":20ru1rh2 said:
Hello,

Mike.

Regards,
Dave

I bought the kunz shaves, specifically, because I had heard about and, consequently, read an article about "improving" old or poorly made new ones (stanley, record, anant) and decided it was so ridiculous that it warranted my doing such on a one of the most notoriously disdained brands. i didn't get far before i got bored, but i did order a "premium" blade as instructed (lumped in with a taller order). The notches in the new blade had to be reground to actually fit, otherwise, there was no discernible difference. The kunz blades are just fine, says, I: a random person on the internet. The sole, mouth and bed really did need to be cleaned up (grinding/filing/sanding) to function, however. Whereas, normally, I shake my head in disapproval at the literature suggesting that sort of thing is necessary.

I had a similar situation , probably read the same articles/posts regarding Knutz spokeshaves and as they were interesting shapes I bid on them, as owing Stanley versions are out of my price band.

You say "but i did order a "premium" blade as instructed ", can I ask what brand that was?....just so I don't do as you have in the future.
Regards,
Dave

Hello,

The shave I was promoting was this sort:
image.jpg

Small enough to not have to spend too much time fettling, but the most logical design ever and a pity no one else manufactures a version in better quality. As the cut gets finer, the mouth does also and vice versa which is exactly the way it should be and exactly contrary to every other shave.

Any other shaped shave, concave, convex etc have other, better quality manufacturers, so I would leave Kunz alone, except for the adjustable mouth version.

Mike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,104
I hate shave designs (and there are several) where the blade is only held by a central, direct acting screw. :-(

BugBear

Back