Need a lathe....Help!!!.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingAl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm avidly following eBay, have been for a very very very long time!. Anyway, there's a NuTool lathe on there, my budget isn't huge, comes with a few bits, it's nearly finished, can some one have a look & maybe tell me what they think?. Eventually I want to venture into perhaps turning bowls/ larger items, would this b any good. I know it's not a lot but not much info on the ad. Just says NuTool lathe. Thanks in advance, I hope!?.

Info I've just got from the ad:

NuTool Wood Turning Lathe

Is in good condition does has some superficial rusting on bar but this will soon rub off.

Comes complete with Chisels which are as good as new.

VikingAl":nrfmdb3n said:
Info I've just got from the ad:

NuTool Wood Turning Lathe

Is in good condition does has some superficial rusting on bar but this will soon rub off.

Comes complete with Chisels which are as good as new.
Myself personally I wouldn't touch it but I'm not on your budget it is a cheep well very cheep end of the market I once tried the clark version of this one and to be honest it rattled and made some horrid noises it may do you for a few months but as you said you want to try large bowls this one wont cope with them and you will be looking to upgrade you would be better of trying to up your budget and try something better but this is just my opinion

Thanks woody, I've just looked at a post from May this year, said roughly the same, ill hold out I think!. I've got more to play with, there's a really nice Axminster 900 not far from me & I'm secretly hankering for something like that to be honest, should really stick with my own maxim, " Buy cheap, Buy twice". Thanks again!.

I got my lathe through Freecycle. Stuck up a wanted ad and had a reply within a few days.
It is quite old, but is a great beginners machine.
One of my maxims is "no cheek, no chance."

I'm not ready to upgrade yet, but will return the favour when I am ready to move on by freecycling it again.

I have an Axminster AWSL for sale - you can see the details of it at the Axminster website. It will do 10 inch diam. bowls max plus spindle work etc and the bed can be extended by the purchase of something from Axminster.
It was my starter lathe & is in good condition - I also have some bits n pieces like a faceplate, 2mt jacobs chuck that will go with it (mine is now a 1mT). No tools tho I am afraid.

I am open to offers around £120 for it - buyer to collect or arrange a courier.

If anyone is interested.

my all singing all dancing coronet is still for sale, a complete machining centre 6 in 1 machine, lathe, tablesaw, planer, mortiser, spindle moulder, sander. complete with tools and lots of accessories £200

Since this isn't the for sale section, it's presumably acceptable to comment that that Coronet is an absolute bargain.
"they don't make 'em like that any more"!

Hi Al!

I am local to you (you are only in Neath) and I am looking to sell my lathe.

I have a record power cl1 36 and quite a few accessories to go with it (chuck, faceplate, drive centres etc).

If you are interested then drop me a pm :)

I will message you what I have said just in case you miss this anyway.

Cheers

Adam

Cheers fellas, all these offers, sounds too good to be true!. I have decided to avoid all the tinny looking cheap NuTool/Clarke and similar stuff, i have no experience so really cant comment too much but my opinion is this, " i sont like the look of em!", and what i say goes, well, until the wife steps in!. anyway, I think you all are quite right, start with a good solid machine from a company with a reputable history. Hopefully soon I will be producing lots and lots of wonderful sawdust. I'm hoping for something other than that but I'm not holding out much on it just yet!. Cheers fellas, who knows, maybe one of us will be doing business soon!.

Back