Nail Guns (pins really)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieStew

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all

I'm looking for a gun to help me with pinning sheet materials together (material will be 12-18mm).

I've read bad things about staple/nail combination due to the head leaving a mark on the material. I don't (currently) have any air tools or a compressor.

What are my best options? What size do I need? 18g? I'd prefer cordless. Aldi have one currently for £80 but noted yesterday that it's a stapler too.

I don't have masses of space so compressor would need to be small and I'd prefer as quiet as possible too.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'm happy with my Ryobi one+ 18g nailer it's fairly silly person proof. It'll take awide range of nails to suit, 12-18mm isn't an issue. It's not a cheap option, but if you're buying into the one+ stuff batteries and chargers get shared - I have a drill and impact driver too - so the cost is spread.

If you're nailing sheet materials are you leaving them raw of painting? You can fill any nail head holes easily if you are going to paint afterwards. Just remember that pins aren't going to old your work together, you'll need to glue too. In fact I've had nails fail in ply just by looking at them. Treat them as mini clamps.

Small compressors are still going to be loud and if I was going to go that route I'd want a "not small" one just for future growth. They're not maintenace free either.

Others will be along soon to tell you which air nailer to use :lol:

Thanks.

I'll be using other holding methods for longevity. But just a quick hold really (mini clamp is a good description).

I currently only have Dewalt 5Ah and Lidl cordless stuff. Not entirely against going Ryobi for a couple of bits of kit...maybe.

What I did in your situation was get a small 'silent' compressor (9litre Orazio ~£90) and then an air nailer (Tacwise 18G 50mm ~£60), plus the air line and connectors etc. I knew I'd be wanting a compressor eventually anyway for casting woodturning projects (although I haven't got round to that yet!).

If I needed to make the same decision now, I'd get a cordless 18G nailer (Ryobi/Paslode/lots of other options depending on budget). I find myself not using the nailer as often as I could (or should) because setting up the compressor just for a couple of nails is something I don't bother with. I'd use it much more if it was a cordless one.

Thanks Sleepy.

I think Ryobi may be the future. Don't want to spend a fortune. The Dewalt bare unit is more expensive than Ryobi with batteries!

Latest posts

Back