Mystery saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaniac

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what sort of saw this is?
It's made by W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner, and is all metal.
The blade is held on the pistol grip with rivets.
I did wonder if it was for butchery - being all-metal it would be easy to clean

Attachments

• Tyzack Saw 2.jpg
    Tyzack Saw 2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,054
i would guess at butchery, or a second guess at surgery.

toolmaniac":32yo1jl2 said:
This is a better picture:

I can't see the teeth - does it cut on the pull or push stroke?

(handle shape makes me suspect pull stroke)

BugBear

toolmaniac":3a5h5vn7 said:
The teeth are ground like an ordinary crosscut, so it cuts on the push stroke.

Can we have a close up of the handle, near enough to read all the words?

BugBear

Hello,

I assume the blade is made to be replaceable? Could it be Tyzak's version of Eclipse multi purpose saw. The alloy handle was to enable blade changes, that might have seen wooden handles fail, rather than cleanliness or sterility needed for surgery or butchery.
The Tyzak saw looks rather like an old fashioned keyhole saw, but oversized, so the design of the handle is not unusual.

Mike.

woodbrains":2k5xjjp3 said:
The Tyzak saw looks rather like an old fashioned keyhole saw, but oversized, so the design of the handle is not unusual.

I've looked over several catalogues, from 1935 - 1965. I can't find this particular saw.

The closest is a "compass" saw (AKA table saw). In earlier periods these were sold as fixed handle saws, but later on (post WWII) they were commonly part of a "nest of saws", where an interchangeable handle would have 3 blade, including a keyhole (or pad) blade, a compass blade and a more "normal" blade.

My thinking when I asked about the direction of the teeth was a pruning saw; the blade shape is also "near enough", but pruning saws normally (bit not always) cut on the pull stroke.

BugBear

Back