Myford ML8 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot stuff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I bought a bobbin sander and pillar drill from a chap today and I've been offered a Myford ML8 and some marples carving chisels if I want them. Problem is he doesn't know what they're worth and neither do I as its not an area of woodwork I've any experience of.
It all seems to be in good enough nick and works fine but it's an old piece of kit obviously so can anyone give me a clue as to its value or is it something I should avoid altogether?
Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

Ml8s on eBay seem to go between £100 (old, beaten up, no tools nor stand) up to £350 (looked after, on a nice stand, with a bunch of tools). I know nothing of lathes but I'm a wiz on eBay ;)

F.

Yes, I did have a quick look on there but all I saw was a variety of asking prices and all still for sale so presumably not that desirable. I don't mind getting it as it might be handy for making plane knobs, replacement chair parts etc but I didn't want to spend too much on something that wasn't worth having at all.
Thanks for that though, much appreciated. Saw your build thread by the way, where about in Aberdeen are you, west end somewhere by the look of the buildings.

On eBay if you go into 'refine' on the search you can tick 'completed listings', then you can see what has sold in the last few months. Great to work out what something could be worth. Yes I'm west end of Aberdeen.

F.

It's a good lathe

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myfordwood/

Myford stuff usually sells well, it's a respected brand. Follow Fitzroy's method for discovering value.

Check that the motor works, the spindle turns freely but is not loose when you try to push it sideways and that there are no odd rattles when running. It should run pretty quietly, too. Lubricate the bearings before running, if it has not been used for a while. The bearings are probably sealed, but the seal might have gone.

If the spindle runs noisily, the bearings (angular contact) could need replacement; not a difficult nor an expensive job, but there is a technique that you can look up online. That would not be a cause to reject the machine but to lower the price. The headstock and spindle assembly looks as if it disassembles easily enough, but note that the bearings have to go in the correct way round, and should be preloaded the correct amount.

Keith

My personal opinion would be don't buy it , 1940's design / build , small locking levers , The groove along the top of the single bar fills with shavings , Later lathes had twin chassis rails to stiffen thing up , A more modern design youl be better , Just my opinion , Others will disagree :wink:

Back