My workshop tour.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not a workshop it's a palace.

I hope you're not a cabinet minister claiming a second home allowance on it :D

Blimey, that takes me back to the days when I was knocking out pine bedroom furniture and dressers for a living - exactly like yours!

It's good that there still a market for it in your neck of the woods. Round this way people suddenly stopped buying pine around 5 years ago. It was as if someone had turned a tap off and every manufacturer I can think of, including me, went bust!

I still get asked to make the occasional pine piece, but generally I can't make money at it. Wheras someone might pay £800 for a pine wardrobe I can get £2000 for one made in veneered MDF and hardwood. The cost of materials and the time taken isn't much different.

It looks like you've got a nice set-up there. How come the video ended just when we were getting to the interesting bit?

And how do you do your finishing - just stain & wax or do you have a spray booth?

Cheers
Dan

Agreed not enough time actually looking at the workshop. A quick glance at the pine furniture would have been enough to show me your a master at softwood cabinetry. But we're all interested in the TOOLS! :wink:

The Alchemist":12q5ebp8 said:
Blimey, that takes me back to the days when I was knocking out pine bedroom furniture and dressers for a living - exactly like yours!

It's good that there still a market for it in your neck of the woods. Round this way people suddenly stopped buying pine around 5 years ago. It was as if someone had turned a tap off and every manufacturer I can think of, including me, went bust!

I still get asked to make the occasional pine piece, but generally I can't make money at it. Wheras someone might pay £800 for a pine wardrobe I can get £2000 for one made in veneered MDF and hardwood. The cost of materials and the time taken isn't much different.

It looks like you've got a nice set-up there. How come the video ended just when we were getting to the interesting bit?

And how do you do your finishing - just stain & wax or do you have a spray booth?

Cheers
Dan

Its just a stain and wax finish i do, I mostly sell to one of the 4 shops i supply so it goes out ITW, Round this way we have lots of pine shops, Most just sell bought in Import pine, I can do variations on sizes and styles so get quite a bit of work from people who want their sizes and not the standard jigged up range.

This was a good week, Since xmas its been up and down and i'd be fibbing if i said im not feeling the downturn, But its affordable furniture and plenty of repeat sales, Definately not like it was when i was 18 and first got into furniture by my boss telling me we need to loose you but you can go nextdoor and make bookcases!.

Wizer, Heres another vid in a clear workshop, It was 6.40ish in the morning and had to get on so its a quick look round again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hhf7Q2QmEc

Andypo Im not far away, Wont give locations on an open forum now people have seen my kit, The yard is guarded by a doberman and the landlord is a good friend to all the traveller familes this way so i'd be very unlucky to have something happen!. There is a kettle and my coffee comes strong!, No office or comforts though.

Nice looking workshop youve got there. I keep meaning to do a workshop tour of mine but it never seems tidy enough.

Glad too here that you are making a living out of the pine furniture. Most of the people who used to make pine furniture near me have either retired or packed up.

Is that a dovetailer hiding behing the drum sander?

Jon

Back