My Norton 3X Grinding Wheel Query - An Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Routermonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear All

A few weeks back I posted a query on the General Woodworking forum because of a concern over my new Norton 3X grinding wheel here.

Several of you were kind enough to offer advice, but I didn't get round to thanking you - apologies.

Since then, I have managed to sort things out. I used superglue to bond together the four plastic tubes that make up the bushing. This eliminated the small amount of play between each one. I then used Araldite to cement the bush assembly into the bore of the wheel, using its gap-filling properties, and taking care to ensure that the axis of the 1/2" bore was vertical to the surface of the wheel. This eliminated the wobble. Following assembly onto the bench grinder, I found that most of the run-out had gone. Although I was still getting vibration, a few minutes' work with the diamond dresser restored concentricity, squared up the wheel, and more or less eliminated the vibration.

So, how does it perform? In a word - brilliantly!

I tentatively tried it out on a couple of older chisels, and soon reground their primary bevels. So I moved on to my Ashley Iles chisels and had them reground in no time. It removes material very quickly, and doesn't overheat the blade. In practice, I find that it helps to use a light touch, moving the blade from side to side, and frequently removing the blade from the toolrest to check progress and ensure that the blade stays cool.

Incidentally, Gidon suggested that I make my own toolrest (thanks Gidon), but in the end I bottled out and bought the Veritas combined toolrest and angle jig. I'm very pleased with it. It allows me to remove the blade to check progress, and it helps with repeatability and angle setting. I guess I don't really need it, but it's nice to have,

For the price of the Norton 3X, Veritas jig, and the new bench grinder, I could have bought a Scheppach Tiger 2000, but I'm pleased with the results I'm getting from the above. And there's no water to spill everywhere. I can certainly recommend the Norton wheel!

Les

Les
Good show - glad you like the wheel. Makes quick work of planes and chisels - glad to hear you got it sorted.
Cheers
Philly :D

Latest posts

Back