My next creation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this didn't turn out as I wanted. Large gaps in one or two places and I had to turn the outside blocks over in two sections to get a good fit. Then the wood colour didn't match. Also the star must of slipped in the clamps so the points don't line up . The whole things a mess. I'm not sure if I should bother sanding it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 669
Looks interesting, I can see what you say but it's too good to bin.
Will the long glue joints survive any possible movement?

monkeybiter":35w353i4 said:
Looks interesting, I can see what you say but it's too good to bin.
Will the long glue joints survive any possible movement?
Should be OK as all the timber is kiln dried and I microwave it too.

Segmented American white oak bowl 275mm diameter x 150mm high.

Attachments

• IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 604
beganasatree":1y2lgu7i said:
Hi Phill,
I like the shape of this one.I have been looking at ECONOMY BOWLS ON YOUTUBE ,but they have all just got plain tapered sides.I like the way that yours comes back in at the top.

Peter.
Thanks Peter. To be honest it was supposed to be straighter but there was a split in one of the blocks at the bottom. So put more shape into it. It ended up very thin......around 4mm wall thickness. I cut enough blocks for another one but think I'll mix some other coloured wood in.

TBH Phil, I like your honest approach, i.e. the truth about splits and personal dislikes etc. and I find it refreshing and it's very welcome; I hope others realise they can and should be truthful about both their endeavours and their failures, it's a much more appreciated account than simply skimming the high points of the occasional success.

And of course it's very impressive work too. Except the one that returns on it'self. But then it's a good job we don't all like the same thing.

Onto my next one. I had a massive pile of off cuts of a job I just finished. American black walnut skirtings and architraves. So I ripped them into strips so I can make segmented bowls out off.
I'm lucky enough to have an 1100mm wide drum sander in my workshop. Didn't know if it would just eat the segmented rings and shoot them up the extractor but found that if I push a board behind them it works a treat.
I'm also gluing a base block onto this one so I can shape it easier. I can also use my other chuck for other things.
I'm also cutting the angles at 15 degrees instead of 221/2 degrees. Found my clamp didn't like the smaller blocks.
This bowl has walnut centre rings with oak top and bottom.
I've also cut another with alternate rings oak , walnut, oak and so on. So we will see which one will look the nicest.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 644
For someone who has only been doing this a short time,you certainly have a flair for it.
No way would i attempt something so complicated for some time yet.

Wuffles":2i1glrgg said:
Frank Howarth inspired split clamping there?
Yeah that's where I got the idea from. He has a very nice workshop and some crazy machines. Clever guy. I do find my self shouting at him 'NO' when he uses his cross cut sometimes though. He doesn't hold the piece of wood which is against the stop....Could jam against the blade and fly out.

markslathe":3s15umhj said:
For someone who has only been doing this a short time,you certainly have a flair for it.
I've run my own joinery for 16 years so this is what I do every day. The turning bit is new to me but I love a challenge. (hammer)

Phill joiner":xg14553r said:
Wuffles":xg14553r said:
Frank Howarth inspired split clamping there?
Yeah that's where I got the idea from. He has a very nice workshop and some crazy machines. Clever guy. I do find my self shouting at him 'NO' when he uses his cross cut sometimes though. He doesn't hold the piece of wood which is against the stop....Could jam against the blade and fly out.

With the size of his bandsaw I'd expect it not to fly out, but more to open a vortex to another plane and drag humanity into it.

Tut, 'merkans, what can you do.

Phill joiner":p9grz6l3 said:
markslathe":p9grz6l3 said:
I've run my own joinery for 16 years so this is what I do every day. The turning bit is new to me but I love a challenge. (hammer)

Lol Sorry Phill,i mistook you for someone else,no idea why. anyway your work with turning is great.

Back