My New Purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I retired from my job of 37 years last week, (started a new one the following day).

Anyway, as a retirement gift my friends and colleagues gave me exactly what I wanted an Axminster voucher.

I really wanted something that reminded me of a lifetime of good memories every time I picked it up so chose a Lie Neilson No.9 Mitre Plane. What I didn't know was that it is discontinued. I emailed Axminster and within a short while they found me one and as luckily it was at their High Wycombe branch.

So today I popped up there, it's literally a few miles away, and am now the proud owner of a very nice plane that I hope will make shooting end grain a lot easier than using my No. 5 that had a tenancy to tip and wobble a bit, it was also very uncomfortable to hold.

LN9-2.jpg

I stole this photo from Paul Chapman on here so I hope he does not mind me using it.

Will give it a try this afternoon.

Mick

Attachments

• LN9-2.jpg
    LN9-2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,523
That's much nicer than a carriage clock!
I am sure you will enjoy using it.

MickCheese":1h2e41l7 said:
I stole this photo from Paul Chapman on here so I he does not mind me using it.

No problem.

I'm sure you'll like the #9. It is so comfortable to use with the hot dog handle, you could plane all day with it. Also, the Bailey-style blade adjuster works really well.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

This was the last on they had so I was fortunate.

Have tried it out with my shooting board, work an absolute treat. I went back to the No.5 that I normally use and now wonder how I managed.

Definitely better than a carriage clock.

Mick

I've got one - it's a great plane.
I suppose the Stanley 51? Clone has replaced it?

Rod

I bought a good second hand No.9 from a fellow forum denizen (Mike-W) just a couple of months ago. It's a cracking plane. Was using only today. A pity the hotdog handle is so ridiculously expensive for what it is.

Superb news Mick and you will have to bring it with you when I next see you (hint!!! :mrgreen: )

You can easily make a carriage clock if you want something traditional with that plane! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fromey...surely the hotdog is not beyond your capability to make...I made one for my Spiers (see my blog) and it works perfectly...and transforms the use of that old plane on the shooting board.

Jimi

Jim

Once settled in the new job and have more time I will make an effort and pop over to see you.

Re the hotdog handle, I don't know what it is made from but I suspect not wood. It feels like Corian? It's quite heavy and dense and cold to the touch.

The biggest difficulty I would think is the grub screw, I cannot see how it is located to stop it tearing out if you were a little enthusiastic.

Mick

Would be lovely to see you again Mick..I'll get the Java ready!! :wink:

The doughnut I made was just a simple slot...

DSC_0338.JPG

It just pushes on and is friction fit...indeed it takes a bit of a whack to get it off again should you need to.

Jimi

Don't they supply the hotdog with the plane - I don't remember having to buy mine as an extra?
I think it's made from a metal alloy?

Rod

Harbo":3hrpybqc said:
Don't they supply the hotdog with the plane - I don't remember having to buy mine as an extra?
I think it's made from a metal alloy?

The early versions of the #9 were supplied with a knob which screwed into a threaded hole on both sides. This was later replaced with the hotdog handle. My hotdog handle is metal.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back