my little woodturning workshop!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all heres some pics of my workshop. The interior of the workshop is 9'x8' square its about 6'6" high at the sides by about 8' at the highest point, works out at about 800 cubic foot of air space!! (i think)
P1010205.jpg

before we bought this house i'd been using a corner of the workshop at work for my turning, but this house had a extra long garage which seemed ideal to put a partition wall in and have as my first home workshop.
P1010207.jpg

P1010209.jpg

the garage is one of those pre fabricated concrete wall jobbies with an asbestox lux corrugated type roof. when i started using it for turning i put 2x2 battens verticaly on the walls and then some normal roof insulation followed by some 1/2" insulation board, i did the same on the ceiling.
I clad the outside of the partion wall with 3/4" plywood to add strength and deter somone kicking there way in.
P1010212.jpg

i never use the personal door but i still glued some insulation board over it!! i drilled through the frame of the door top and bottom so that i could padlock it shut from the inside.

P1010213.jpg

going down the right hand side wall now i fitted an opening window, you can also see my microclean 1200 and my sanding disc store. the microclean was inherited from my last workshop and is far to big for this one so i use a gadget to reduce its capacity supplied by microclean.

P1010214.jpg

you can see a 4" extractor fan here, its an ongoing problem with heat i have in the summer see other thread.
P1010216.jpg

P1010215.jpg

heres the first view of my big green turning machine!! its aVB36 bowl turning lathe, its a fantastic lathe.
P1010217.jpg

P1010218.jpg

heres my tormek and dry grinder, i mainly use the tormek for fingernail gouges.
P1010223.jpg

A new thing for me, vacum chucking.
P1010221.jpg

i've put the pump on the other side of the partition wall, i've done this to stop it getting coverd in dust and to keep teh noise and heat source out of my working space.
P1010224.jpg

here you can see my dust extractor ducting, same reasons as the vacum pump i've put my two extractors outside of the workshop. you can also see here that i've earthed the pipework, i would strongly advise everyone to do this to help prevent static build up which can lead to fire and in extreme case's explosion.
P1010220.jpg

this shows a home made exhaust baffle box (old kitchen cupboard) i made for my extractors, heat and noise go in one end and are forced up and down several pieces of angled boards until the air comes out allot quietier the other end.
P1010225.jpg

P1010219.jpg

heres my input fan see cooling thread

heres my compressor cupboard and tube heater
P1010227.jpg

P1010226.jpg

P1010228.jpg

P1010222.jpg

here is my tool chest which was made for me by a local welder out of 1/4 steel. its bolted down to the floor. on top is my chainsaw locked to the cabinet with a thatcham approved motorbike lock.

and thats it a basic guide of my workshop.

That is a very big lathe compared to my mini lathe :lol:. I have never seen a vacum chuck before though it seems very high tech, well i guess you do learn something new everyday :D. Thanks for the tour.

Woody.

I was just looking at the first few pictures and thought it all looked a bit ropey and then the equipment shots came in, I guess you spend more on the tools than the building they're kept in!

Aidan

TheTiddles":30p5iixb said:
I was just looking at the first few pictures and thought it all looked a bit ropey and then the equipment shots came in, I guess you spend more on the tools than the building they're kept in!

Aidan

:lol: kind of, it depends if you count insurance costs!!!! in with your building costs

Thanks for the workshop tour, looks very neat and well organised inside and you seem to have all the tools required for turning.

SHOW OFF, :D :D Great to see where the masterpieces are turned out.

I have a lot to learn youseem to have everything in what looks to be a small area. A sure sign that you know what your about. Apart from the lathe and tools anddnnn everything else I will have to get one of those Microcleans I would think a 400 would do me .

Thanks for the insight . REgards Boysie.

That really is a nice big lathe. Never seen a vacuum chuck before. Very interesting tour.

BTW, do you have mains power or is the lathe hooked up to the turbo trainer? :lol:

Bob

Nice tour of your shed.
You have made good use of the space. What a crackin big lathe you have. I will need to get heating into mine, then there will be no excuse in winter to get out and work.
I am in the proccess of getting my workshop kitted out with dust extraction. Will be 50 on 1st Sept and have been promised by family to get what is needed.

thankyou chaps, i would just like to point out that i have been turning for 11 years and have slowly saved and built up to have what you see now. i started with a really cheap chinese lathe and gradually upgraded until i finally got to the vb, i worked every bank holiday for 6 years to save towards it and then when i was nearly there my family helped/treated me to the last bit i needed and i've never looked back since.

well, i do have a lathe, but don't really use them that much. What I like is the tool chest locked to the floor. That idea has just been stolen!!!

I like the idea of being able to lock my treasured hand tools away and KNOWING that no thievin barztadd is gonna get his hands on 'em.

Thanks mate, that'll do nincely!!

Neil

PS I must admit, the vacuum chuck looks fantastic. I shudder to think what it cost......

neilyweely":1qzrlwi3 said:
...I like the idea of being able to lock my treasured hand tools away and KNOWING that no thievin barztadd is gonna get his hands on 'em.

Don't get too complacent though, unfortunately normal hasps, padlocks and thin steel handles like the chainsaw is linked to take a matter of seconds to remove.
p44211_m.jpg

its all about slowing them down, if they want it badly enough they will find a way to get it. I remember a story in the news a few years ago where they couldint get in through the doors so they knocked a hole in the brick wall!!
my advice is
1. insure it
2. alarm it
3. lock it

Back