My latest " Disaster piece " opps masterpiece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
decided to turn a bowl today , and wanted to spend some time in the bottom , finish it off nice with a few rings in the spigot , all went well , looked great , sanded through the grades , sanding sealer 2 coats , polish 3 coats , looked great ,

took it off the screw chuck , and mounted it on the dovetails on my chuck , thought , wont over do it when tightening it up as I don't want to damage it :roll:

started to turn the outside and " BANG " off it came , but only caused a small amount of damage :roll: , so put it back on "Tighter " and it stayed put , finished it of , lovely :p

So turned it over and fitted it to my cole jaws , rubber buttons , to turn off the small amount of damage , and , and !! , yes , you have it , Bang , it went flying , hit me on the cheek :cry: , inly light though :p

picked it up off the floor and it had some damage on the rim :cry:

will post some photos tonight as I am off to work in 5 mins

Still , we live and learn :p :p

Any significant toolwork in Cole Jaws means Tailstock Support for me now, even then a dig-in will result in the piece moving against the rubber, had to rework the outer of a piece today that had a catch on a knot defect that moved and the rubber jaws burnt a themselves a flat spot and left a scorch mark on the piece before the lathe stopped.

Important thing is that you came out unscathed.

The same thing happened to me . It was my first bowl i turned after i got my new chuck, i did not tighten it enough and after a dare i say DIG IN it flew of and i had to nurse a black eye for a week. One thing i now make sure anything i put into chuck is tight enough to last the duration.

I had a bowl explode on me because of a hidden crack that I hadn't noticed. Nice little scar over my eyebrow. That was with a face mask on, still trying to work out how it got under the mask. That was in a rebate as well, I think that the chuck was too tight and forced the crack to open.

Dangerous hobby this :!:

Pete

I've only turned one piece using the dovetail method.
Wasn't keen on it,just didn't feel safe to me,though the piece turned out well.I was only using medium speed doing this just in case it did fly off.
I keppt the base pretty thick still for fear of it splitting which was the first thought that came to mind when i was doing it.
What speed was you using Blister :?:
Same with my home made button jaws,just kept it to my slowest speed takink very light cuts with a sharp tool.
Paul.J.

Interesting post this. I NEVER hold anything in a recess, primarily because of what you have mentioned. Happened to me once years ago. (I was lucky mine went right through the window in front of me.) Will never happen again, I always use a spigot. Then remove it by reverse chucking.

Also on the design front, when you use a recess it dictates the size of foot of the bowl because you can only go so close to the recess edge. Use a spigot and you can make the bowl foot any size you like.

Glad it is only minor war wounds you lot have acquired, could have been a lot worse.

PS- The answer of course is tool control. Sharp tools, cutting very light keeps the work where it should be. :idea:

Listen to Norm

Tap, tap safety glasses - or face mask when turning :wink:

Spigots aren't infallible. Last night I was turning a very green piece of beech on a spigot and the darn thing broke off. There was a fault in the wood and it just simply fell off. Fortunately it was running at a low speed as it was heavy because it was so wet. I was intending to do a natural edge bowl and hoping to turn it as thin as possible and see how it deformed so it did no harm but now I have to sort out how to remount it as I had turned half the inside away by then.
C'est la vie pour les Turner en bois.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Nothing is infallible in this world, especially in woodturning. There are just too many imponderables.

Something that may be of help to remount on the lathe. When starting on a bowl blank I hold it in compression between chuck and tail center, then form the spigot. The pressure between chuck and tail center is enough to hold the timber securely while forming the spigot. Cutting easy the friction between the two is more than enough to prepare the wood.

Further to that is if as you have already turned some of the center out of the bowl, you can hold a piece of wood in the chuck and shape the end roughly to the inside shape of your bowl, again use compression between the wood and tail center to hold it all in place. Just make sure you center the tail point as central as possible. Then form your new spigot.

This method may sound a bit precarious yet I use it all the time to form my spigots and sometimes to rough shape the outer form. With gentle cuts, and not too fast a speed you will have a new spigot in a minute.

I'm still at the stage where i check everything is all o.k still whenever i stop the lathe,even giving the chuck a little turn still to make sure. :)
Paul.J.

Morning Tam,

I, like you bring the tail stock up whenevr possible as a backup. I have done the copression bit before but didn't think to do it with this one. I'd probably have to reshape a bit as I am unlikely to get it dead centre and of course the bowl will be a bit smaller overall but at least there would be a bowl.
Thanks for the ideas

Pete

Latest posts

Back