My good fortune.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owd git

Established Member
Reaction score
One day last week I went to have some wood cut down on a band saw. I was quoted about 10 to 15 pounds. and was charged the lesser amount. while I waited for it to be done I saw a young chap throwing fairly large pieces of mdf into a very large skip. I asked the owner if I could have some of the waste and was given permission to help myself anytime. Wow plywood planed timber mdf.It was like winning the lottery. following day did two jobs that I had planned that would have cost me at least £25. All I had to do was sand some glue off and take some screws out. Mind you I had my poor old pensioner face on. :lol:

I'm not ashamed to say that I "skip dive" whenever the opportunity presents itself. It's not about money with me its that I just can't stand to see decent timber being wasted. If you have a planer/thicknesser almost anything is reclaimable. I tend to use the materials up in either hidden bits of furniture where appearance doesn't matter or outside planters and the like which will receive a paint or stained finish. My personal favourite is that classic British Wimbledon style green colour so that gets sprayed on most of them. Here's one.

Attachments

• Patio planter 4.jpg
    Patio planter 4.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 782
That looks nice Bob.
Any ideas for getting rid of old contiboard that swmbo won't have thrown away ?

"Furniture Board is suitable for a wide range of applications, including shelving, bookcases, wardrobes, cabinets, occasional tables, bespoke furniture and kitchen units." (So say B&Q's website....what a load of old cobblers)

Is it 15 or 18mm and what colour? I have once used the white regular stuff as shelving for a built in but in truth I hated it. All I wanted was a wipeable melamine surface in white. Can you get it in 18mm from the sheds?? Can you b......cks! So I was stuck with 15mm which caused me to have to build a sub frame to support the weight under the shelves because it is very whippy. (over 2m it is anyway). Its outrageously expensive and the edge banding looks cheap and hideous. Personally I would rather be hung, drawn and quartered than ever actually display it to the naked eye as B&Q recommend above. Occasional table....my backside....occasional bonfire, now that's something they could put in their marketing!

To get the decent stuff you would need to find a professional MFC supplier.

Any scraps are good for garage use. Because they're wipe-able and slick I used the off cuts up for jigs where the surface needs to slide and 2 small shelves for a garage cupboard. But to be honest, every time I see where the melamine meets at the corners I always want to rip it out and set fire to it. Reminds of cheap Formica stuff from the 70's. A style I always instinctively hated.

I seem to have touched a nerve there Bob :)

most is mahogany veneer from the days when it wasn't just a form of vinyl wrap. It came from old cupboards I have replaced. It is slowly being fed to the wood burner when nobody is looking but sods law made this the warmest winter I have ever known. Hardly ever lit it :)

I know the feeling about the wood burner. Not complaining mind I've enjoyed the mild winter

I dunno old son. Burning is pretty high on my list of things to do to it :)

Loft flooring???

Latest posts

Back