My free vintage woodie.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIGNAL

Established Member
Reaction score
The free ones are the best. :D
Stamped with the users name in numerous places. The only other marking I can find is on the side of the Tote - some lettering that I can't quite make out followed by 'Sheffield'. Perhaps the retailers?

Given to me a few days ago. Yesterday I decided to tune it for peak performance. It came with a significant hump in the sole, just rear of the blade. I took a very finely set smoothing plane and with the aid of an engineers straight edge proceeded to get the sole as flat/straight as I could. I then used a card scraper and very lightly relieved the areas normally done on Japanese Planes. A quick few scrapes is all it really needs.
Some fine wirewool and mineral turps cleaned the crud off the body.
I then switched my attention to the fit of the wooden wedge. That needed a little work too. Tapping the wedge home and trying to trap my thinnest feeler gauge soon highlighted the areas that needed scraping to obtain a near 100% contact.

The blade is a Hildick, probably made parallel and a pretty hefty 4.5 mm thick. The blade itself was in reasonable condition, the back needed a little work to get it flat but nothing substantial. The chipbreaker, especially the mating edge, was in poor condition. Nothing that a few minutes with a file and coarse oil stone couldn't cure though.
A couple of wipes with Danish Oil and the quick restoration was complete.
This thing really does cut incredibly well. The mouth may be gaping but it doesn't seem to affect it's performance. Cuts at least as well as my souped up vintage Record No.6 complete with Ray Iles iron and clifton 2 piece chip breaker. I've tried it on some nasty Bubinga and interlocked Ebony. Impressive. 1 1/2 hours work and gratis. I've got a feeling that the Record No.6 just might be staying on the shelf a lot more. Believe me, tune these things up and they sing.

Possibly the most underrated. planes in the market place, and as you can see they can be very cheap!
So glad your enjoying using a woody. Cheers Richard.

Excellent! I grabbed a dusty old wooden try plane from the shelf and found similar results (although I did't tune up as well as you did). The cutting noise is very nice and as Richard said VFM is very high indeed.

MIGNAL":yjmtaouk said:
I then switched my attention to the fit of the wooden wedge. That needed a little work too. Tapping the wedge home and trying to trap my thinnest feeler gauge soon highlighted the areas that needed scraping to obtain a near 100% contact.

Whilst a 100% uniform contact is lovely, it's really the lower 1/3 that matters the most. I once had a plane cutting "fairly well" that I tried to improve (as you did). I made it worse, and subsequently reverted to the "emphasise the lower 1/3" approach that the wedge originally had.

BugBear

It was the lower part that had the gap, well one side of it anyway. It actually didn't take very long to get the wedge to fit, 5 minutes at the most. Then again I have quite a bit of experience making woodies from scratch. I suspect it will be a mighty long time before it needs fitting again. You can always tell when you have a good fit on the wedge , the adjustment of the blade becomes much easier and the wedge pops free without fuss. Worth taking the trouble to get a good fit and the thin feeler gauge (or cigarette paper?) is a good way to go about it.

Just a quick update on this. With the aid of a loupe I think I've finally deciphered the stamp on the handle as being 'C.F. Johnson - Sheffield'. It would be nice to have a rough date.

MIGNAL":8ajr25ph said:
Just a quick update on this. With the aid of a loupe I think I've finally deciphered the stamp on the handle as being 'C.F. Johnson - Sheffield'. It would be nice to have a rough date.

I did a quick search on the Sheffield Indexers site and found one result:

JOHNSON, C.F (~, Edge & joiners tool manufacturer & merchants).
Residing at 20 Bank Street, ~ in 1925.
Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly’s Directory.

British Planemakers gives addresses at Orange St and Carver St and dates from 1931 to 1954.

It also shows a rather nice "Gramophone" brand with a logo of an HMV style wind-up model. Any sign of that on yours?

No, Andy. No sign of the HMV Gramophone. Just the maker/merchant stamped on the side of the tote. The blade is not tapered - I wondered if that indicated a later manufactured Plane. Of course the blade may have been replaced at some point.

Ciao,
Nice plane and I agree these woodies worth of an easy restoring job.
I use frequently a wooden jack as well as a jointer, both coming from UK. Very good examples of efficient tool.

Giuliano :D

Back