My first "real" project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished my first lamp.

The wood is monkey puzzle (kindly donated by a fellow member, thanks again Geoff) and the finish is 2 coats of sanding sealer followed by a couple of coats of Mylands friction polish.

Hope you like it - I'm very happy for a first attempt, but all comments welcome as to how it could be improved.

One question - when boring the central hole with an auger, should the lathe speed be fast or slow?

Paul.

Hi Paul.

Very nice first attempt, shades of 'Keith Rowley' there in the design. It wouldn't look out of place on any table or dresser IMO. Nice to see a decent lamp fitting, I hate seeing plastic fittings when someone has put everything into making a lamp. It makes them look cheap.

I don't think it needs any improvement, design and proportions look good to me. Well done.

Auger boring, slow speed, withdrawing the auger every half inch or so to clear the swarf.

Very nice Paul :D
I agree with Tam,looks well proportioned,nice finish.Well done.
When i made my 2 lamps i started doing the boring on slow speed than built it up slowly till i was comfy with the speed.Again clearing the chips out every inch or so.
Paul.J.

Looks good Paul, narrow at the top so that you can get your hand on the switch easily, sensible base so that it doesn't fall over at the first puff of wind through the window, I would say you have got it about right.

Keith Rowley is exactly where I got the design from - Can't hide anything from you experts! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Might try some bowls next - I did have some attempts but was getting end grain tear out, so went back to spindle turning for some more practice!

Paul.

Don't consider myself an expert Paul :shock: , but I am an avid reader of woodturning books and articles. always on the lookout for ideas. :lol:

Latest posts

Back