My first project and mistake!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ateallthepies

Established Member
Reaction score
It's about time I posted some of my wood doings so here is the first bit of woodwork I tried recently. It is a chessboard made from Rosewood and Lemonwood. All the bits were cut on my old SIP tablesaw now gone to the knackers yard and dewalt sliding mitre saw...
025-1.jpg

Spot my mistake?? Yes that crack down the middle which I tried to fill but then cracked again. I did not know much about wood movement and used timber stored in my unheated garage then brought the finished board into my house...
026-1.jpg

It opened up a good 3mm and really annoyed me but did teach me a good lesson on how wood moves!

Steve.

It looks like a fine piece of work, apart from the timber defects! If you are going to consider cutting it apart and gluing back together, a thin bandsaw blade might be your best option, the a quick clean up with a plane and glue back together.

I think I will just chalk it up to experience and if needed make another but let the wood sit inside for a month or so first. I will just fill it again now it has stopped moving and re shellac it.

Plus now I have a thicknesser I can make the underside look better as this one is a mess of different height squares hidden by a panel!!

Thanks,

Steve.

Yes, a good lesson on wood movement, but apart for that cracking it's a very nice piece. Next time I'm sure it will be better! :lol:

if it's any consolation the wood whisperer cracked a chess board as well due to wood movement and I consider him to be a bit handy in the workshop so you're in good company

and as others have said - nice job otherwise

cheers

If you do another, after you have glued up your squares laminate them to a piece of 6mm ply or mdf.

Attachments

• Chess board.JPG
    Chess board.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 837

Latest posts

Back