my first lesson with Gary Rance and some lumps of cherry??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xc-mtbr

Established Member
Reaction score
Right i went along to the pro (Gary Rance) who lives down the road for a bit of a lesson. First time i'd even held a chisel and by god is it harder than it looks!!!
Gary quickly made various shapes in some pine, gave me the relevant tuition and i copied his shapes, not what i would call exact copies though lol. Anyway really bitten by the bug and want / need to get better quickly.
Anyone around Aylesbury, Bucks and need a pro you will not find a nicer bloke, fact!!
Now to another tale i've been given 8 massive pieces (14" x 14") and some much longer pieces of wet cherry, now, what do i do with em???
Would be ridiculously difficult to cut these down with my hand saw!!
Tree has been down 2 years but its been left on the floor now i've been given six foot of it chopped into chunks, its to good to waste so i'm open to ideas, lets also bear in mind my previous statement and the mess i made of the pine lol

Gary is a top bloke. Did he get you using one of his bloody round skews?

Can't help much with the Cherry, it's been pretty well covered before so you might find it with a search. Basically its a puppy to dry, you're best to cut out bowl blanks and turn them thin straight away otherwise it'll split on you.

I reckon Cornucopia (George) is your man for best advice though. I'm a dry wood man myself!!

Cheers

Richard

xc-mtbr":17rcihxp said:
Now to another tale i've been given 8 massive pieces (14" x 14") and some much longer pieces of wet cherry, now, what do i do with em???
Would be ridiculously difficult to cut these down with my hand saw!!

yes - but fortunately your freindly neighbourhood moose will have a chainsaw on board when he calls by on saturday ;) - I aint converting all of it in one go - but i'll happily chop up a couple of chunks for you - I'm also bringing some green oak and some dry oak and that face visor (and the planer)

is that all moose!!! lol,

I pm'd ya as i was hoping you were still passing through tomorrow instead as i can pop back in minutes to meet ya. even chopping up 2 of the lumps would be awesome thanks. Your quite the man to know!!

Looking forward to getting the planer too :D

Gary is a top bloke. Did he get you using one of his bloody round skews?

Yeah he did, i could have been using a ruler though as i've never picked up a turning chisel until tonight.

does your local friendly neighbourhood moose happen to have spare four jaw chucks, band saws and belt sanders lying round too???? :lol:

xc-mtbr":3fojl2lm said:
is that all moose!!! lol,

I pm'd ya as i was hoping you were still passing through tomorrow instead as i can pop back in minutes to meet ya. even chopping up 2 of the lumps would be awesome thanks. Your quite the man to know!!

Looking forward to getting the planer too :D

cant do tommorow i'm afraid - ive got budget meetings all day (deep joy) - but i'll be over your way on saturday/sunday or some days next week

xc-mtbr":37zrxhss said:
does your local friendly neighbourhood moose happen to have spare four jaw chucks, band saws and belt sanders lying round too???? :lol:

ahh no - i'm afraid not

ebay is your freind for those items - but the moosemobile can help with collection of such items in the bucks/oxon/berks/wilts area

ha mint, i'm affraid im not much use to you moose, unless you have an aircraft you need fixing???

Also, just spoken to Fun police and we are gonna be in saturday :D do you have a rough time in mind??

xc-mtbr":1hah4uax said:
ha mint, i'm affraid im not much use to you moose, unless you have an aircraft you need fixing???

Also, just spoken to Fun police and we are gonna be in saturday :D do you have a rough time in mind??

Fun police - lol , the usual descriptor in these parts is swmbo (said swimbo) she who must be obeyed

Probably about 1-2, depending on how long unloading the new planer and setting it up takes in the morning. I'll call you and let you know when I am am leaving eynsham (about an hour or so)

Bah, chopping up 14x14 blanks!
Strap em on the lathe and get turning!

Looks like moose has you sorted, but rough turning for bowls is definately the way to go for cherry imho.

Oakbear":2834kx94 said:
Bah, chopping up 14x14 blanks!

I presumed the chopping up was to do with the bigger bits still in the round (the oak log i'm dropping off it about 18" dia, so we ought to get several slices out of that)

swmbo lol love it, being in the forces she normally gets OC domestics or OC House (officer commanding)

If she is reading this though she get babe , honey or whatever she likes!!

Looking forward to Saturday then moose, new timber, planer, mask and stuff is gonna go down a treat

xc-mtbr":3kcpajwh said:
rough turning oakbear??

thats where you turn it to be about an inch thick in the wallsthen leave it to dry and distort before putting it back on the lathe to reround it.

the key is to get an even thicknesse to avoid splits

xc-mtbr":22r5w1o8 said:
(officer commanding)

isnt that also abreviated OInC (said Oink) - Officer in Comand :lol:

you start calling swmbo your oink and see where it gets you ;)

Sounds fun mate - I'll have to remember his name as I work in Aylesbury at the moment. This also means that if Moose is unable to get something to you I could act as courier (though I can't carry the sort of things that he can in his van / pickup!).

Miles

Back