My First Hardwood Project - Small Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_UK

Reaction score
I had a go this week at making a small table, this was my first attempt with hardwood using some sawn planks of oaks I bought a few weeks back.

I ran the planks through my planer thicknesser and then joined 3 together with dowels to form the table top. It didn't look to good as a plain rectangular so I curved two of the edges on my small bandsaw with a homemade circle jig.

DSC_8763.jpg

I made some simple sides and some battens to form a lower shelf with tenons on my aldi router table.

DSC_8823.jpg

DSC_8824.jpg

I then sanded nice and smooth and finished with some wax I had, the wax was called antique pine and ended up a bit darker than I'd hoped for but it's ok.

DSC_8827.jpg

It was then a case of glueing together:

DSC_8835.jpg

And most important of all it's finished for my wife's birthday before she's home tonight:

DSC_8840.jpg

Looks like a nice job! That oak looks the business too, nice figuring in it!

How did you attach the top to the two sides? Can we see a pic of the table complete.

this is the finished table:

DSC_9237.jpg

The tabletop is simply attached by 4 dowels, I know this isn't the best way as I've no allowance for any shrinkage/expansion in the wood, but it was my only real choice with the time allowed. I only applied the tiniest amount of glue to the dowels as I was thinking at the time I may want to come up with a better method. Do you think I will have problems with this, the oak was sold as kiln dried and I left it for a few weeks in garage.

You should be fine - the legs and top are both oriented with the grain in the same direction, The place you have to watch for movement is when gluing cross grain, or dissimilar timbers.

Back