My adventures into three phase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhwbigley

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got my phase converter on Wednesday, plonked it on the floor in the corner..

DSCN0855.jpg

I then set about wiring up my machines. After the lass behind the counter at my local electrical wholesalers couldn't give me what i needed , I ended up picking up some bits on the way to skeggy.

after an hour i was ready to try some machines.. spindle moulder fired up fine, so did the power feeder.

DSCN0857.jpg

2 speeds forward and reverse baby!

Then tried the planer, well that fired up once.

DSCN0859.jpg

But after that the starter just "chattered", tried cleaning the contacts, but still buggered, new coil then

And finally it tried the SAW

DSCN0860.jpg

Well, at first it tried to go backwards... then wired the right way, would cut the converter off, and only turn the blade about 4".

After looking at as much as i could I'm thinking the brakes not coming of?

There is also this switch on the side that looks like it turns the brake of on start up?

DSCN0856.jpg

And the yellow and white bits are lights, well if they had bulbs it that work!

Now it wont do ANYTHING!.

Any ideas chaps??

Thanks

JH

Have you checked that the scriber is turned off?
On the machine at work, you cannot turn the main blade on if the scriber has been left in the on position.
You have to start the main blade, switch to delta and then turn the scriber on.
Probably not that, but worth checking.
Hope you get it sorted, it looks like your set up for some serious work.

Adam.

All might not be lost on the planer.

Your 3 phase converter has two "real" phases with the correct voltage on and a third 'artificial' phase generated by some capacitors in the box and balanced as much as possible by the motor on the back.

check that the contactor coil is being powered by the two real phase lines. The converter manual should tell you which these are.

This may or may not be related to your saw problem. However this may be caused by the need to have a neutral connection for some of the control functions and I don't think the Transwave converters provide this.
Look to see if the power inlet to your saw has 3 wires plus earth or 4 wires plus earth. The latter is 3 phase plus neutral.

Bob

If the switch was as it is in the photo,looks like you've manually got the brakes on.
The indicator lights should just screw off to replace the bulbs.

9fingers":naiu55zo said:

Your 3 phase converter has two "real" phases with the correct voltage on and a third 'artificial' phase generated by some capacitors in the box and balanced as much as possible by the motor on the back.

check that the contactor coil is being powered by the two real phase lines. The converter manual should tell you which these are.

This may or may not be related to your saw problem. However this may be caused by the need to have a neutral connection for some of the control functions and I don't think the Transwave converters provide this.
Look to see if the power inlet to your saw has 3 wires plus earth or 4 wires plus earth. The latter is 3 phase plus neutral.

Bob

Thanks bob, i can remember reading the instructions and it saying something about that, will re-read it tomorrow and check the lives.

the transwave converter does output a neutral, but the saw only has three lives and a earth. :roll:

Aces and eight, have to start the scriber after the main blade, and it wont start without the main blade running.

Andycktm, should the switch stay in position after its turned?

As the bulbs are gone, i cant tell if the brakes off, I've got the bulb out, but its 130v, so will need to order one.

thanks everyone!

9fingers":vf35175b said:
The OP has a converter NOT an inverter!

Bob

OHHHHHHH I do beg your very pardon :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I will re-phrase
'star' = 415 Volts which is what your inverter is.

To

'star' = 415 Volts which is what your converter is.

There now. Does that read better? I am terribly sorry if I have miswritten something!

Also, my rrrrrs seem to go AWOL at times on this laptop of mine too! You missed that?

jhwbigley":1brle0q7 said:
9fingers":1brle0q7 said:

Bob

Thanks bob, i can remember reading the instructions and it saying something about that, will re-read it tomorrow and check the lives.

the transwave converter does output a neutral, but the saw only has three lives and a earth. :roll:

Aces and eight, have to start the scriber after the main blade, and it wont start without the main blade running.

Andycktm, should the switch stay in position after its turned?

As the bulbs are gone, i cant tell if the brakes off, I've got the bulb out, but its 130v, so will need to order one.

thanks everyone!

130volt bulbs suggests to me that the control circuits for your saw are 110v nominal (130v bulbs being chosen for extended life).
If this is the case then as with your planer, well worth checking that both the contactors and the control circuit transformer are powered from the two 'real' phases.

Bob

Latest posts

Back