Moving on....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisfarrow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, well, I got over the disappointment of going straight through the bottom of the little oak bowl and thought it best to 'jump straight back on the horse'!

We've got all sorts of lumps of wood lying around from various tree-trimmings that have been done over the years with most of the wood left in piles to season before burning. Most of it will be oak, beech, sycamore, field maple or ash. So I thought I'd have a rootle around and see what there was I could turn into shavings.

Came up with this which I was quite please with.....I know it's not oak and am pretty sure it's not ash.....

_MG_9115.jpg

_MG_9116.jpg

and in the same wood...I think....

_MG_9124.jpg

and this, quite different......could it be sycamore?

_MG_9127.jpg

_MG_9129.jpg

Comments / crits on all very welcome.....skin is thick and I'm eager to learn :)

Attachments

• _MG_9115.jpg
    _MG_9115.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 943
  • _MG_9124.jpg
    _MG_9124.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 943
  • _MG_9127.jpg
    _MG_9127.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 943
  • _MG_9129.jpg
    _MG_9129.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 943
  • _MG_9116.jpg
    _MG_9116.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 943
  • _MG_9127.jpg
    _MG_9127.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 943
First guesses on wood species are Elm and spalted Beech.

But dependant on where it was harvested from, if the first came from a garden location then could be Sumac.
Elm would be tough, Sumac rather soft.

You did well with the spalted wood by the looks of it and did not let the softer areas degrade (hollow out) whilst sanding.

I concur, definately lovely, lovely elm in the first two pics.
The second species pic, looks very much as beech, especially in the third pic, as a close up, not too sure in the last pic.
I don't know what sumac looks like, are you sure it's not a country?
Rodders

That's lovely the first one, couldn't say what it is, second one looks more like spalted birch to me

Thanks for the thoughts.....

The wood is all from trees on our land around the house. It's pretty much all native broadleaf, no ornamentals or fancy foreign stuff ;-) I didn't think there was any elm but would be very happy to be wrong! These, and a great pile more, where all trimmings that were put to one side for the log burner without worrying what they were.

Birch is unlikely....beech seems to be the favourite from both here and elsewhere and we certainly have a lot of that.

Latest posts

Back